Great if your motivated

Former Employee - Automotive Sales Associate in Tyler, TX
Former Employee - Automotive Sales Associate in Tyler, TX

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, great coworkers, extensive training, knowledgeable managers.

Cons

Base plus commission. When its slow your just getting your base pay.

Advice to Management

Great company. Advertising more about products would help.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. Hostile working environment for BC ASM position.

Current Employee - BC ASM in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - BC ASM in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay structure to other retailers for management positions. Emphasis on training for management and consultative selling associates. Health Benefit Plans offered( but extremely costly).

Cons

Very hostile work environment for BC ASM. Profitability, margin and sales should be the primary drivers of the business but far too much time for management is spent on tasks that are irrelevant to driving these 3 key metrics. Management is forced to work 10 hour work days when very often the workload requires significantly less time. Management is forced to work split shifts during the Holiday season. Management is forced to work 6 days a week periodically throughout the year when workload and projected sales show it is completely unnecessary.

Pay cuts, pressure to reach arbitrary sales numbers.

Current Employee - Commisioned Sales in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Commisioned Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had some lovely coworkers and my boss was wonderful.

Cons

I have worked at many companies. Sears ranks as the worst by far. I used to make good money until they cut my commission bonus', months later my commission was cut as well. I used to average over $15 an hour and now I can no longer make above minimum wage no matter how hard I try. Sears pitches the commission cuts as "opportunity to focus on higher margin items" which is just a slap in the face. Arbitrary metrics are a huge problem too. Management has literally told us on numerous occasions that shop-your-way-rewards enrollment, credit card enrollment and protection agreement sales are more preferable to actual sales. Commissioned sales people intentionally botch sales when they know they wont get those enrollments because it will hurt their metric score. Also, like clockwork, management gets canned every six months and there is a huge "culture shift" and we have to do everything differently for three weeks then everyone stops caring and things go back to normal.

Advice to Management

Pay good employees a decent wage. 90% of your employees are in perpetual poverty. Stop focusing on ridiculous metrics.