Sears

www.searshc.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Great part time money if you can put up with the trickle down panicking from corporate.

I worked at Sears part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, managers want you to succeed, one of the tvs in the department had Dish on it to kill the time. Good monetary incentive for hard work. Decent employee discount. Flexible scheduling, but there is no time off allowed in November/December.

Cons

Although I did not mind how much emphasis was put on numbers, some key numbers were never talked about. Specifically, you could make a sale that generated a $1000 loss, but as long as you sold a protection agreement (warranty) with accessories it was great sale. Favoritism interfered with ethics. Managers could feel the pressure from corporate, and would occasionally be very unpleasant to work with.

Since the company has already dug itself into a big hole with its lack of cash flow and a gluttony of near worthless real estate, keep trimming the fat and focus on what actually brings in a profit.

4612 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

over all good people

Former Employee - Receiving in Steubenville, OH
    Former Employee - Receiving in Steubenville, OH

I worked at Sears part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexable shifts good friendly people

Cons

bad pay rates no raises

take care of your employees

Great training ground for first jobs!

Current Employee - Brand Central/Appliance Select
    Current Employee - Brand Central/Appliance Select

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great training ground! They offer extensive sales, customer service & product training.

Cons

They will hire someone with a History degree to manage a clothing department who had no experience in retail, management, or sears, before they will consider someone with 10+ years with them.

The opportunities for advancement within were not there. It was not even encouraged let alone offered. I left the company after 13 years of Brand Central and Appliance Select. When the company sets a goal so achievable that the top producers can't reach, you are telling them that they are unimportant to you. There should be more recognition than just an employee of the month for the best letter sent in by a customer. Many times I would even do things like go to an old ladies home on my own hours and assemble a stereo cabinet or program a remote. Managers should be noticing outrageous customer service. I was often charged with upset clients and other responsibilities by my manager because she knew I was good and she trusted me. Yet in 10 years in Brand Central I received one customer service award. 1987-1999 Store Management in my first 10 years was not inspiring. They were not really friendly, didn't try to "know you" , were unfair. I loved my department managers.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears