Sears
2.5 of 5 3,540 reviews
www.searshc.com Hoffman Estates, IL 5000+ Employees

A company that has mastered the cluster.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employee discount. Strong brands as long as they do not dilute. Internal social network called Pebble is very powerful and useful tool to cross internal bureaucratic stigma (witch abounds in this company). Assistant and store managers have home access to many internal systems(can also be a con)

ConsThey want their eggs cooked "sunny side down but don't turn them over". (3 stooges ism). Crony Good ol boy still exists in this company. Use negative motivators to beat results out of location managers. Business unit structure forces the stores to serve the central organization. Unrealistic expectations lead to frustrating the front line and extinguishing morale and talent. The threat of closing your store if it is successful or not makes talent run from the company. Some of the best motivational leaders I have ever worked for were sent home with weak reasoning.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of leadership changes and soul searching with no results. The business model used is doomed even before it started.

What's Your percentage?...Metrics matter not people

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

I have been working at Sears full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Flexible schedule, awesome coworkers, loyal customers Cons: No raises in over three years. Management only cares about metrics. High turnover rate… Advice to Senior Management: Focus less on numbers and ditch the email requirement to enroll new members in Shop Your Way Rewards You have loyal customers who can't earn… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

It's all take, and no give at the Triangle Town Center Location

Loss Prevention Associate (Former Employee)
    Raleigh, NC

I worked at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros: The jobs are easy enough; anyone of any background can work at Sears without any… Cons: Everything else. - The pay is abysmal. It's minimum wage, period. You're not getting raises, you're not getting more money, there's zero incentive to work hard… Advice to Senior Management: Clean house, overhaul your policies, get with this decade. It's 2013; why are we using computers with windows ME? Why… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Sears.

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sears reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sears CEO Edward S. Lampert . All reviews posted anonymously by Sears employees.