Sears

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Sears part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers and nice to work with.

Cons

Poorly run company. Bad Management all around.

4297 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Don't work here if you have ANY other options.

Former Employee - Cashier in Mays Landing, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Mays Landing, NJ

I worked at Sears part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The staff was friendly and nice.
    -The Manager was nice and well-intentioned
    -Hiring like crazy.
    In the 2 weeks I've worked there, there was at least 10 new hires.

Cons

-Pushing Credit.
    You are required to try your hardest to get every single person you ring up to apply for a credit card. Obviously most people do not want to be bothered with this when they are simply trying to buy their items and go about their day. I was told that even if there is a long line to still push credit on everyone. This, to me, proves that Sears' focus is not on customer satisfaction. All they really care about is "Shop your way rewards" and pushing credit cards.

-Dos Registers.
    The Registers were so outdated and needlessly complicated.

-Poor Scheduling.
    I made the mistake of telling my manager that I'm pretty much always free because this is my only job and I'm not currently going to school. He took this as "I never want a day off." I've only worked for about 2 weeks before quitting. I was scheduled to be off on the upcoming Friday. I looked at the schedule to see my schedule for next week and find out that I'm scheduled for opening for that Friday. When I ask a co-worker about this he tells me that sometimes they'll just schedule you and not tell you. On top of taking my day off without my consent, they haven't informed me. If I hadn't looked I might of just never showed up and gotten fired on the spot due to no fault of my own.

-Poor Training
    I was trained on the register for about 3 days before I was left by myself in the kid's department. I wasn't taught everything and never had time to really practice it and form confidence at the register.

-Dispensable Employees
    You are easily replaceable at sears and they let you know it.

-No Room To Grow.
    The person training me has been working at Sears for more than 2 years. He knew how to do everything down to the T and did it well. He still gets minimum wage.

-The Intercom
    For whatever reason you need something be it a manager's approval, help at the register, money drop off\pick up, etc. You need to call a code over the intercom. I was not trained to properly use the phones before I was left by myself at the register. Because of this I couldn't remind the person who was supposed to give me my break to do his job. It may not sound like too big of a deal but when you're a smoker and need a break to get some nicotine in you, it's a pretty big deal. He came 45 minutes late, well after I had went through nicotine withdrawal and had a panic attack at the register. Even after I learned how to use it better people still never answer me when I would call over the intercom for help.

-Customers.
    Apparently Sears' customer base consists mainly of people who don't speak English as their first language. This wouldn't be a problem if you didn't have to push credit on them and ask them a bunch of questions about their Shop Your Way Accounts. I don't mean to be rude but how am I supposed to sign someone up for a credit card if I can't understand them? Well it's still required you ask them. Another thing that bothered me about the customers (And I'm sure this is the case with most retail stores) is that they don't want to read the thousands of coupons they try to use and get upset or even belligerent when you can't except them.

In summary, Don't work here unless you absolutely have to.

If your main focus really is customer satisfaction, then stop trying to force a credit card on everyone who walks through the door.

tech

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than an year)

Pros

get to meet and work with a lot of different people

Cons

bad tech...pos system is from the 80's...computers are so slow that working with customers takes too long for them to wait so you can help, causing a lot of sales to walk out the door

get some new computers they will pay for themselves in a week...geez

There are newer employer reviews for Sears