Corporate Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great building, great learning, good peers

Cons

Constant Management turn-over creates for constant strategy changes

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Technical specialist/call center agent

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sears full-time

Pros

Steady work, okay pay, ability to work overtime if available.

Cons

Customer surveys are a joke, they are asked about their experience with you personally and start a rant on other issues which affect your score even if it's not your fault. Pay is okay but could be better with more realistic goals for stats. Needs better product training. Awful hours.

Worst Seasonal Experience - EVER

Former Employee - Cashier in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Cashier in Clackamas, OR

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can be dumber than a box of rocks to work here, as long as you can sell the Sears MasterCard

Cons

I worked here as a seasonal employee with a few years of previous experience in retail. Basically, Sears has next to no retail business during most of the calendar year. Maybe a TV here, a dishwasher there. Nothing fancy. But because of this, they only have enough people to staff the bare minimum of shifts. The only place you'll find an employee to help you is in the electronics/tools area because those are the employees that make a commission. Cashiers? Dressing room? Need help finding an item? Forget about it. They only care about making a few extra dollars, not about the customer at all!

Which brings me to my first con of employment here: If you can't get at least 5 people to sign up for a Sears Mastercard during your shift, you're a worthless employee in their eyes. NONE OF IT MATTERS unless you show up at the end of your shift with a stack of credit card apps.

We had to ask customers that were already PAYING WITH A SEARS MASTERCARD. No joke, I heard this comment at least 4 times from an associate: "Well you got approved once, you probably will again!". One lady had 3 Sears cards. 3!

We were also pushed to sign people up for Shop Your Way Rewards. I'd ask, but if people said no thanks, I left it at that and helped them in every other way possible. Other cashiers working with me would say "Are you sure?" or they'd trick the customer by asking for their phone number and putting them into the system without them knowing!

You can be the most idiotic person that knows absolutely nothing about dealing with retail customers, but if you can sign people up for a damned credit card, you're Employee of the Year.

One of the star cashiers I worked with had been there 5 years, never received a raise, was never offered full time employment. She routinely got about 10 credit apps in a week, and was consistently praised on her incredible ability to swindle people. But still, they never offered her an actual living wage nor was she offered a management position, because by her getting all these credit apps, the store was reaching their "credit threshold" and management was receiving bonuses. Because of her work. They will never promote her because she is their cash cow. It's really too bad because she's an incredible employee in all aspects (including their credit business) and deserves a promotion.

She requested off A YEAR IN ADVANCE the week before Thanksgiving because her wedding was planned that weekend. She actually requested the entire week before Thanksgiving, knowing how busy the week of Thanksgiving would be. She planned her wedding knowing she'd have to be back for Black Friday. Her time off request was denied by her manager and the store manager because of company policy that prevents them from allowing time off requests between 10/31 and 1/6. She had to write a letter to CORPORATE, begging them for time off for her wedding that she'd already taken the time to plan around work, and they wrote back saying they would only grant her TWO DAYS off. Unpaid. This is a prime example of how they treat their employees. No one gets paid time off, sick time, vacation time, or is even allowed to request time off for their own wedding.

They also do not train you. They kept putting me in the tools department when I have no knowledge of tools whatsoever. I was hired on 10/31, and on 11/5 I'm supposed to be an expert on drills, saws, and air compressors? I was reprimanded because I rang up tools purchases under my employee number without telling a Tools Associate because apparently they get commission for all tools purchases. How was I supposed to know that if they put me in the department BY MYSELF only days after being hired? It was constantly like that. They wait until you do something wrong, THEN show you how to do it correctly and treat you like an idiot while doing so.

During Black Friday, none of the items in the ad were ringing up correctly. We had hundreds upon hundreds of people attempting to buy sale price items, but the 1980 IBM Computer System couldn't manage to ring up a pair of boots for 19.99 instead of 50.00. They had months to prepare for this! Also, at midnight, we had to shut down our computers and stand there because every night at midnight there is a system-wide reboot. Are you kidding me?!?! We had customers in line, but we had to say "nope, just stand there while my ancient piece of machinery updates itself". Ridiculous.

I quit after they kept cutting my hours because I didn't force people into signing up for their idiot credit card or rewards program. I quit four days before Christmas on a Saturday. I was sitting in traffic on the interstate trying to get to the mall when I realized I would go INSANE if I went into that store. I couldn't take it anymore.

Advice to Management

Just file bankruptcy already and get it over with