Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Cashier in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with people

Cons

pay is horrible it is minimum wage, and the expect too much from you to only pay $7.40 a hour.

Advice to Management

You should pay your employees more. some people have been with your company for years and love it, but minimum wage is not enough.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

In one day,out the next.

Former Employee - Merchandising Lead in Mesquite, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandising Lead in Mesquite, TX

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast track for promotions, good place to build life long friendships. If they like you, they will pay you well.

Cons

It's nothing but politics with the Dallas district. I was flown to Chicago to help corporate create new typical, and I was promised to be next in line for promotion. I was all of my store managers go to person to get things done but my fourth store manager (my particular store had 4 store managers in 4 years, so you can see there is a very high turnover rate) did not like me, and he made it his personal mission to get me and 2 other managers to quit, which he succeeded in. Very metrics driven, towards the end of my career with sears, couldn't get any merchandising done because we were to busy getting called to store managers office for being down in credit, shop your way rewards, customer service surveys, in store online orders and so on (there is at least 14 metrics to meet). Which also never gave you any time to manager your team. No payroll to hire sufficient amount of staff, which lead to managers having to do all the work, which, again, is hard to get anything done when all management team is being called to store managers office almost hourly for being down on metrics.

Advice to Management

Seems my last 4 years with sears, the company has lost focus on providing amazing customer service (even though that's what they preach daily) and instead is more concerned with meeting silly metrics to make an extra buck.

Sears is Kmart

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best place to be was in the Fitness Department because you get $10/Hour plus commission. Mostly large items so there was little clean up to do throughout the shift.

Cons

The department lead is full time and could re-ring sales under their own number and take your commission. The company has many bad policies that you are required to enforce but would be overridden as soon as a customer complained.

Advice to Management

Don't make your employees enforce policies that don't make sense if you are not willing to back them up when customers disagree!