There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Outside home renovation sales, commission based, extensive travel with your vehicle

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- New situations every day
- Interesting customer interaction
- Money can be very good if you're very good
- Upward mobility possible but need to have ability to relocate to get into regional management
- No cold calling- appts are set for you (that's a Con as well as a Pro)

Cons

- Total lack of control over your time on work days- you don't know if you'll work a 4 hour or 14 day
- Telemarketers don't qualify affordability- you might drive 150 mi to talk to obvious unqualified prospect living in squalor.
- One call close often means hurried presentation and close- partial chargebacks are the norm
- Driving 1000 mi per week was not uncommon in my region and $.20/mi reimbursement doesn't cut it. You'll need a fuel efficient vehicle that hauls a lot of presentation materials, and a really good GPS that still knows where you are out in the corn fields somewhere
- Most prospects are from Sears demograph- many are older, many have little money. Few prospects are well-to-do. The products are costly- you will never win a bid situation- ever.

Advice to Management

- Do some marketing outside of Sears usual demograph. Younger people shop differently. Have lower cost products available across the spectrum for your poorer customers
- Something has to be done about the mileage issue- way too expensive for new reps
- Find a more fair way to split chargebacks. Ignoring terms of a signed contract, giving customers things they clearly should pay for under those terms, and then passing entire REAL cost to the rep is unconscionable and it happens regularly.

reviews filtered by
  1. Sears home

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were very nice a lot

Cons

Money was not enough to make

Advice to Management

None

2. I enjoyed my co-workers and my time there, it really got me ready for a future retail job.

Former Employee - Cashier in Pennsdale, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Pennsdale, PA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All my co-workers, including management were very friendly. For being introverted I was surprised how much the job improved my public speaking skills and confidence in the little time I worked there. The thing I will miss is the the flexible lunches/breaks. The company also offers you commission opportunities (if you have the time) and overall upward mobility if you do well at selling credit.

Cons

I worked there during the holiday season so it was hectic. Management at times could be dysfunctional. They basically throw you out on the floor and have you learn as you go. But not only do you have to learn the register and store policies you're also required to ask for "members" email addresses, phone numbers, if they want a credit card and extended warranty, etc. Like most retail jobs, it can be highly stressful at times. I just think Sears goes pretty far with getting people to buy more, it screams financial difficulties. So be ready to sell, sell, sell.

Advice to Management

Get organized, make sure associates are properly trained and please stop the sales pressure, it really annoys and/or confuses the associates and customers (I mean "members").