Customer Service v. Retail Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Medford, OR
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Medford, OR

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Healthy/safe work environment. Co-workers are friendly and co-operative. Management is generally reasonable in its expectations. The location is nearby and easily accessible. Customers generally know what they want when they come in to visit.

Cons

Constant push for up-sales/cross-sales. If the customer knows what they want when they come in for a purchase, I felt it unnecessary to "push" other items. In addition, the use of the iPads to ring-up transactions, generally took longer than using the register, adding to customer frustration in the time required. A customer wants to make a simple cash transaction but can't because of the requirement to obtain a phone number and other personal info to develop a file causes a lot of customer dissatifaction.

Advice to Management

Before you impose the use of "new" technology on the workforce, make sure it works and is, in fact, an enhancement and not a hindrance. The iPads are a good idea but rushed into service. Also, go to a set work schedule. A floating schedule makes it most difficult to plan personal needs.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

Bad pay, Stressful environment.

Former Employee - Cashier in Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission is good and hours are flexible.

Cons

Pressure to make Rewards and Credits.

Advice to Management

Better control.

Good money. Sinking ship.

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Draw in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Draw in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work as a commissioned sales professional. I make about $20 an hour. Like all sales gigs, it's pretty up and down..some days are fantastic..some days are not..but when you average the 700 dollar days with the 'didn't make a dang thing' days..it all comes out to around 20 bucks an hr and I have worked a lot harder for a lot less in other places.

Cons

Not a very stable company, is it? Sears is basically a stepping stone--I'm learning about sales, getting some resume fodder and making decent money but I'd never be dumb enough to think of this place as a long term option. They probably won't last another five years. That's a shame, because there are a lot of very dedicated people here. Sears could have turned itself around, if only they were owned and run by someone who wasn't a vulture hell bent on squeezing every last drop of value out of this company.

Advice to Management

Eddie Lampbert is too smart to take advice from me--I'd just tell him the same thing everyone else is telling him: Invest in your stores, Eddie. Stop micromanaging. Quit antagonizing customers w all this SYWC nonsense. Get rid of the stupid iPads--They don't work half the time and no one's impressed that we have them. Stick your foot up Delivery's butt so they stop screwing up. (Customers care waaaay more about their stuff getting there on time and getting there in one piece than they do about whether or not I rang them up using Apple products) Streamline the organization--it isn't necessary to have so many managers...and on and so on.. But I'm just a dumb salesman. Eddie is a genius.