Not worth your tine

Former Employee - Cashier in Staten Island, NY
Former Employee - Cashier in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Competitive discount -hours aren't bad - lots of time to train

Cons

-pay -managers -location -horrible sales goals -extremely disorganized

Advice to Management

train your managers better

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

Commision = work hard and be a ticket shark. Hourly = expect a lot of busywork and to be treated badly.

Current Employee - Express Tech in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Express Tech in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, camradierie, able to make decent money if you're lucky enough to get promoted

Cons

Hardworking knowledgeable people doing advanced engine and diagnostic work outside of their official pay level to help out the other techs and lighten the workload get paid the exact same amount as the "go-fer" boy who gets parts, mops the floors, and smokes cigarettes by the dumpster instead of working on cars. Don't put a lot of effort into your job if you're not comissioned, you'll get looked over (no raise, no promotion). Can only make decent money if you: 1. Know what you're doing 2. Can do it fast 3. Don't care about doing the job right, just "good enough" and 4. Don't care about ripping off other techs you work with.

Advice to Management

Reward those that do more than their share, punish laziness and dishonesty. Although you need to keep in mind the bottom line to keep shareholders happy, look at more than just the numbers if you want to keep employees happy. Adjusting a ticket to lower the cost for a customer should affect the company, not the hardworking tech trying to pay the bills and put food on the table. We have lost numererous talented techs over labor-hour discrepancies and silly policies.

2. It's a job and nothing more.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Sears (Less than a year)

Pros

-My immediate supervisor was great. He never made me feel stupid if I had a question or if I needed to be shown how to do something again, and he actually respected me and my other coworkers. -Cashiering is pretty much the easiest job in the world. -I made a few friends that I still stay in touch with.

Cons

-Hated that the number of hours one got was based off of credit card applications. -Pay was low and there was no opportunity to advance to or learn a different position in the company, even when one expressed interest in doing so. -Almost all of the managers, except for two of them, acted like they were so far above everyone else and had horrible attitudes, especially towards us customer service cashiering people.

Advice to Management

Being a manager does not give you the right to be condescending towards your other employees; try to actually earn your employees' respect instead of throwing unrealistic expectations and bad attitudes at them.