There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Hiring was just an excuse to "Shop Your Way"

Former Employee - Merchandiser
Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For six hours between Thanksgiving and Christmas, this job seeker was able to bring home a bit more money than otherwise. The location in question added hundreds of employees right before the holidays. This applicant believes the purpose of hiring was to encourage holiday shopping at Sears. Each new hire was given a "Shop Your Way" rewards cards and an employee discount.

Cons

The tax survey screening incorrectly assigned tax credits and status as a veteran.

Advice to Management

Instead of hiring in-volume, hire only enough people to whom you can give reasonable hours. Fix the tax-credit screening process so that only legitimate benefits are claimed. Employees shouldn't be asked to sign documents that contain false information.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Tough, but potentially rewarding.

Current Employee - Sales Project Consultant
    Current Employee - Sales Project Consultant

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is the potential to make a lot of money with SHIP.

Cons

There is no set schedule, long, grueling days for no money occasionally.

Advice to Management

Find a better training structure and fix your pricing models. There is no reason to play as many games with customers to make them think that they're getting the best deal possible when they aren't, and salesmen know it. There is a reason why so many salesman struggle to make a living in certain areas because SHIP isn't competitive in pricing with people who have the money to purchase, instead relying on financing as their biggest selling point, except the majority of potential customers cannot obtain financing through Sears.

2. It has its good and bad days

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Winchester, VA

I worked at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a Warehouse Associate. My Supervisor was one of the reasons I loved my job. Him and his boss were both some of the nicest and most fun people to work for. Everyone in the store become like family to you. If it wasn't for the low pay, I never would have left the company.

Cons

Management can be very strict and pushy, expect you to do several jobs at once (ie Warehouse & Merchandising) even if you are not trained for it. SEARS as a company does not seem to be doing too well. Store Managers only care about how much money they can stuff in their pockets (I had seen my Store Manager make my Warehouse Manager cry on several occasions because he had threatened her with her job, all because of him not making enough money). There is NO room for advancement. At the store I worked at, nobody had been promoted in over 4 years. Also, the pay for the WAREHOUSE position was $7.25 (I made at least $9.20 at Walmart). And the scheduling can be weird. They will schedule to close the store one night, and the next night you have to open, leaving you with little sleep.

Advice to Management

Pay employees what they're worth, offer room for advancement, and don't expect everyone to do everything for nothing.