There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Home Appliances business unit - team was solidly professional in a supportive environment

Former Contractor - Director in Chicago, IL
Former Contractor - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sears as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Respectful of keeping balance between professional and personal obligations. The teams worked well together in a fun, collegial atmosphere. Was demanding, but rewarding.

Cons

A lot of meetings meant that you had to do the real work after hours, but the job got done...!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Working in the stores is horrible

Former Employee - Retail Management
    Former Employee - Retail Management

I worked at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount was good.

Cons

The environment was toxic because there weren't enough people who cared. The stress level was high. The systems need to be updated.

Advice to Management

Somehow, the management team needs to find a way to instill pride in its workers.

2. Good summer job, but I wouldn't stick around

Former Employee - Softlines MCA
    Former Employee - Softlines MCA

I worked at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy summer job, nice variety of work, fairly good coworkers, usually decent hours, relaxed management. I took a week off for a family vacation in my first month there and no one blinked an eye. The employee discount was nice, as was knowing when everything went on sale.

Cons

The pay stinks. Overly focused on things like how many credit card applications they get. That was really annoying. The equipment I had to use to do my job broke all the time. Everything was poorly organized. There seemed to be little agreement on how things should get done; the people training me, the lead MCA, and the managers would tell me different things. Many of my coworkers had been working there for some time and never got a raise. Had to spend half my work days covering for cashiers when I had a lot of other tasks to do. By the end of my summer working there a lot of people were quitting because their hours were getting cut so much; the company is obviously a financial sinking ship.