There are newer employer reviews for Sears

IDK... I just dont know what the top of the pyramid is thinking.

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate  in  South Portland, ME
Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in South Portland, ME

I have been working at Sears part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid back. Easy going. Lots of women walking through the mall to look at. Have an awesome sales associate to help me learn the ropes.

Cons

Pay is a JOKE.. pay is structured to keep people from making any money. Pay is below minimum wage with a laughable commission rate. If I sell a 3000$ lawn mower, i make 30$ from the sale. 1% comm on a riding mower is pathetic. Management? we dont need no stinkin management. the receipts are way too long. 3 feet average per transaction. salesmen are not told they will also be doing stock work and housekeeping.
the MUSIC... its terrible. they play kanye and beyonce and all hip hop rap crap allll day. what white collar republican at the top of the ivory tower thinks that is the correct demographic??? our customers are 40+ and mostly white DIYers.. they dont listen to DMX and Miley Cyrus.

You guys really need to redo everything from the ground UP.. I am leaving in 2 weeks so my slavery will go elsewhere. BUT.. Sears has been around forever and craftsmen makes some very nice tools. Id hate to see ALLLLL the thousands of people that have put in DECADES of salvery to make you fat cats money get shoved out the door like ENRON because you elitist freemasons or illuminati type cant dislodge your craniums from your colons. get rid of the 5$ per hour pay with a pathetic commission, start treating employees like you want them to stay and for pukes sake take a look at what all the financial companies in the US are saying about your company. They say it wont last another decade. this might not be important to you guys, but there are actual HUMAN lives that have slaved for 20-30 years and lined your pockets with more gold than your snotty Billy Maddison children could ever NEED.. show them some respect by pulling the company out of the water. South Portland store needs a miracle.

3855 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

It was fine for a temporary job, but the company's future is not looking good.

Former Employee - Appliance Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales Associate

I worked at Sears full-time for less than a year

Pros

I applied for this job knowing that I would be there only temporarily. I was nervous but eventually pleasantly surprised to learn that I would be earning commission on what I sold, and instead of a minimum wage job at a fast food restaurant, I was easily making 10-15 dollars an hour selling merchandise within a few months. Also, I personally did not come into the job knowing a lot about the products I was to be selling, and sales associates have to have more technical knowledge then I had previously thought. The learning process challenged me intellectually, and I learned better life and people skills.

Cons

The managers were not particularly motivated. Except for my direct manager, all of the praise and criticism from managers to associates was about "numbers." Very little was said about how customers felt about the store or how we were to treat them aside from selling. We were encouraged to sell not necessarily the best products for the specific customers but the ones that Sears wanted us to sell.

There were too many programs for employees to deal with on a daily business. In my opinion, a sales associates primary focus should be assisting a customer in finding what they need. Associates were forced to push hard for specific programs, such protection agreements (though the increase in commission should be motivation enough) which often lead to alienating customers through the sheer cost of PAs and then the inevitable complaints about the service department later. Another big pet peeve of mine was Shop Your Way. We were required to ask every customer for an e-mail and a phone number, which many were reluctant to give, and if we did not get over 75-80%, we were threatened with termination the first month and terminated the second or third. The benefits of this program are typically not enough to persuade customers to opt into the multitude of spam e-mails that usually follows and many customers became annoyed with us for the check-out process taking so long. And they wonder why some employees resort to signing up a customer with a fake e-mail address.

Associates were required to use the new technology - iPads and iPhones - which were designed to make looking up information or ringing up a customer more efficient. However, the systems they were run on were often failing and there was never enough iPads or iPhones for all employees to check one out for themselves on busy days. We often borrowed each other's in order to meet the daily quota of use (which was technically against the rules, but the threat getting fired because we didn't meet the numbers that month was scarier). Though the system was faulty some days, managers did not take this into account and expected us to make up the numbers the next day.

Also, Sears seemed to be perpetually understaffed. I'm not sure what was really going on, but they were constantly letting people go without hiring replacements quickly. Then the rest of us were stuck manning an entire department by ourselves during unexpectedly busy hours. This benefitted my commission but often left me overwhelmed and the customers unhappy.

I have many more complaints, but its been a while since I've been employed there and my irritation has simmered down. Let's just say I'm not too surprised that Sears is going down.

Talk to associates more about making customers happy and building rapport rather than trying to keep numbers up within certain programs, like Shop Your Way. I know corporate is the one that sets these rules but they need serious revising. Sears has taken a serious hit to its reputation in the past few years, and good customer service is what customers remember the most. Simplify the check-out process so that customers in a rush can be rung up and leave quickly without associates being penalized for skipping enrollment or inquiry about Sears' many programs. Also, I don't know how much control upper management has over store arrangements and decoration, but Sears seriously needs a physical facelift so customers remember more than stained carpet and bad lighting.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Merchandising and Pricing Associate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandising and Pricing Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Sears full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone has a great time on the floor. They hire bright personalities. Lots of incentives such as discounted merchandise and family nights.

Cons

This place pretty much starts off at minimum wage. Promotions are available but mostly in the form of titles.

Promote hard workers more frequently.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Worked for Sears? Contribute to the Community!