There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Moving target with no consistency.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sears full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay at management level. Workload is acceptable.

Cons

They move the target so your bonus is never obtainable. Sales goals are set so high and not close to realistic in today's economy. Seeking a 12% increase in sales in established store with less inventory and higher pricing is silly. Increase the pay of your sales associates. 4.50 an hour plus commission will get you nothing but bad return on investment.

Set realistic expectations. Quit deviating from your plan. You manage by crisis and metric topic of the week. The potential is great if you would set short and long term goals.

reviews filtered by

Be prepared to sell add ons

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cape Girardeau, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cape Girardeau, MO

I worked at Sears part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation if you are able to reach all sales goals
    Way to get a foot in the door with sales
    Flexible as a part time college job

Cons

Have manageable sales goals, but they all seem pointless. As a sales associate you must sell products, protection agreements, attachments, sign up credit cards, and rewards memberships. Doesn't seem too difficult until you realize how annoying it is to ask every customer all these questions. It's also frustrating to finally make a sale and not having the product in the store which happens more often than not.

The company as a whole doesn't seem like they know where they want to go and are focusing on customer service through emails and add on things that a customer doesn't need rather than providing better service, having products on hand, providing free delivery, modernizing stores, etc.

Focus on things customers need rather than a rewards membership that provides little rewards.

Difficult place to work

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate

I worked at Sears part-time (less than a year)

Pros

All of my coworkers were awesome! I had a lot of fun talking to them and getting to know them. After leaving Sears I only stayed close with one of my coworkers, but she is the best friend I could ever ask for. Despite how difficult it was to work at Sears I am glad I met such great people. I was never popular at high school but working here made me gain confidence and become "popular in the work place.

Cons

There were so many issues working at Sears. There were way to many times when there were scheduling issues. Sometimes I would be the only person on the entire second floor (EVEN ON A SATURDAY)! Not to mention if I needed help a lot of the time a manager would not come, and if they did it would be too late. The lines would be long and people would be extremely angry at me even though it was not my fault. Also, the transactions would take long because of the outdated registers, which would not let you go back if a customer wanted to add a coupon to it. Also, we had to pitch the rewards program and credit card each transaction. They had metrics we had to meet for each of these. The register had the percentage of people who signed up for the rewards program and if you were under 80% you would get in trouble and be lectured. For the credit card I believe you had to get 1 credit for about $1000 of sales you made. That was usually like 2-3 a day.

Train your employees better and please have more people on duty. There were complaints every single day about not having enough people!

There are newer employer reviews for Sears