There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Overall, a good experience.

Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant
Current Employee - Merchandise and Customer Assistant

I have been working at Sears part-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Generally a positive environment to work in where you meet cool coworkers (That's really the only good thing I can list as a pro for the company)
-Good start to retail experience

Cons

-Terrible pay.
  It baffles me how a company can expect and demand so much from associates when the starting pay is MINIMUM WAGE! I've met hardworking coworkers who have been with the company FOR YEARS WITHOUT A RAISE. Managers deserve a higher salary as well for the amount of BS they have to go through.

-Extremely annoying customers
   I don't know what it is about Sears customers (sorry, I mean member's) and their really nasty attitudes towards Sears employees.

-Don't like the member rallies and meetings at the end of the day.
  Waste of time. "So why are we here? To serve, delight and engage our members while they shop their way!" I just want to begin work or go home and not spend the next 15 minutes listening to the same thing over and over again. I don't want to hear a manager asking "anybody have any stories?" I've probably seen my coworkers and complimented them on a good job they've done already. I honestly believe it's a terrible way to think coworkers are appreciated. Give them a raise if you believe they are.

-Terrible hours
  Hours fluctuate like crazy. Sometimes you'll get 30+ for one week and the following week you'll receive 10. SERIOUSLY.

-Do not supply you with the tools needed to do the job and outdated technology
  If you've worked at Sears as either a HL or SL associate, you will understand that finding a SNIC is like finding a golden ticket to heaven. Those things are extremely rare to come by because either associates hide them, never work, or aren't enough in quantity for the associates. I don't know about other stores so I'm only speaking for my store, but good god everything is outdated. The registers are I believe almost 15 years old at my store and you could probably make a grilled cheese sandwich based on how hot they get. The printer (Extremely important for signing) is outdated. Apparently some stores have iPad's? HA. My store will NEVER see those in our stores. HA

-Inefficient/Ridiculous training
  Game On is dumb. I don't find it useful at all. Instead, let managers train you one on one either in the morning before the store opens, or set up a meeting sometime during the week. Game On can take HOURS for completion that must be completed during work-hours.

-Play many positions
  Getting paid minimum wage, yet you're almost required to help in every department. wut. I'm an MCA and will be asked to assist cashiers (code 3) even though I have enough work to do already. Then, I'll be asked to help associates in MPU load something. Then, I'll be asked to help someone in shoes. I don't mind, but don't blame me when my work isn't done because I'm asked to help every other associate in the store.

-30 minute lunch
  It doesn't matter whether you're a full-time, PT, or Manager, everyone gets a 30 minute meal. Give managers and FT associates hour meals. It's already a stressful environment so i don't see why there aren't hour meals for them. And then my supervisor will find the absolute dying need to come and ask me something regarding work while she's not clocked out and I'm on lunch. Makes me want to flip a table. Leave me alone for my 30 minutes.

-Bad products/Services
  The clothing is just bad. Contract new and younger companies to sell you their products. My dad bought a wrench and it broke the same day. I once had an employee order a shirt for me through Store-to-home and it never arrived. I called Sears and they told me that Sears cancelled my order. Oh, but wait, that's not the best part. The best part was that they still charged my card and they were NOT going to give me my money back. I seriously wanted to quit right then and there. This was the first and last time I ever ordered something from Sears and trust me, customers mention this ALL. THE. TIME. that their products never arrive.

-No advancement
  Sears might offer you to go to a different department where you can "make more money" but it really isn't a "promotion" at all. Don't be fooled by this. As stated above, I've met coworkers who have been with the company for years and still haven't gotten a raise let alone a real promotion to lets say, management. There is no way I can afford to work for a company making minimum wage and pray for the opportunity to become a manager. Nope.

I hope I don't sound like a complainer, but seriously, I can 100% guarantee you to expect every single thing mentioned above.

P.S. I probably missed out on more stuff but I'm getting tired of writing this review. Oh yeah, I don't even think Sears offers benefits. If they do, I don't think any employee besides management can afford them with the amount of pay they earn at Sears.

Improve on operating a company because the way things currently look, I don't think Sears will be around any longer than 5 years from now.

reviews filtered by
  1. It was a very hard but great learning experience.

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Monroe, NC
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Monroe, NC

I worked at Sears full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well I only have three reasons I could say to work here. One is for the work experience. If this is your first job it will be a great experience. Two if you really need a job. Three is the company in general is a great company but the management is not up to par.

Cons

This company in general doesn't stay with one set plan. Its always switching things up and around. I know that happens but when it happens over and over then there is a problem.

Just one make sure your management is the right people for the job.

2. MCA

Current Employee - Softlines MCA in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Softlines MCA in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Sears part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I don't think there are any - other than you get paid. Unfortunately, you must be desperate to work as hard as Sears expects for such a low wage!

Cons

You might never work harder in your life. Plus... you get to watch as other employees don't do anything! This probably happens everywhere - not everyone pulls their weight. It seems managers and assistant managers are not there half the time.

Pay more attention to your employees. As an employee it's hard to watch as some workers goof off while others work their tails off. There is no training... employees have to fend for themselves. Figuring out what to do and how to do it on their own. Fellow employees are the best source for learning how to do the job.

Orientation doesn't even touch on benefits... other than the company discount.

Keep the lights on so associates can finish their work. Lighting is on timers - while closing and straightening lights are first dimmed, then completely turned off... it's so dark you have to use the light from your phone just to find the door to leave!

There are newer employer reviews for Sears