It's a good company

Current Employee - Merchandising and Pricing Associate in Melbourne, FL
Current Employee - Merchandising and Pricing Associate in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Sears part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, fun people, it's an all in all a great place to work. For the most part, everyone gets along. I have enjoyed my time at Sears.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. They expect way too much from you for only paying minimum wage. Hours can be inconsistent week to week.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on SYWR, credit. It's not customer focused. There's a way to promote it and there's not a way. Yes, they're both great things if you shop, but we shouldn't have to shove it down everyone's throat.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great chance for good solid work experience, very political and top down corporate environment.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience and responsibility, high turnover provides opportunities in the "power vacuum" created, work with smart and driven people

Cons

Very political, hard to get things done, performance incentives are not tied closely to the work I do, high turnover, not a very social office environment, everything is a fire drill

Advice to Management

Give us a clear focus on signal. Don't tell we are a member focused org and then have us spend all our time trying to squeeze revenue out of our customers. Also you need to have a good progression path for high performers or you will continue to lose them all!

2. It's a great starting position to get your foot in the door but not ideal for building a career.

Current Employee - Space Planning Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Space Planning Analyst in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is very good. I rarely work more than 40 hours a week. The workload is not stressful for the most part. Most managers strongly believe that your performance should be based on getting work done and not on how many hours you spend in the office. In the summer we are eligible for summer hours which basically means you get a half day once a week during the summer as long as you put in the extra time or work during the other work days.

Cons

The company itself seems to be a sinking ship. Sears has reported millions of dollars in losses every quarter I have spent with the company. The company is systematically closing stores and selling real estate to stay afloat. Due to the poor performance of the company as a whole, compensation and benefits are rather poor compared to industry standards.

Advice to Management

It is very difficult/near impossible to get promotions or raises based on performance without moving to new departments or business units. Inflation raises prices every year yet I know several employees who have had the same base salary for 6 years or more. Bonuses are also minimal, and they are based on metrics that our work does not directly effect.