Working for Sears Home Improvement put me in debt

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Rose, LA
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Saint Rose, LA

I worked at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When you work for Sears Home Improvement, you sell windows, siding, doors, AC/heating units, siding, etc. You are given the leads so no cold calling. They teach you the presentation to give in people's homes and provide you with a work laptop. They also give you the products to use for the demonstrations like a window or siding sample. The manager there was Scott Temple and he is awesome. Not sure if he is still there. All of the other sales reps were awesome as well. Healthy competition and incentives are given.

Cons

The headquarters is in St. Rose, LA which is 1 hour or more away from my home. I had to go there at least 1-2 times a week for meetings or to pick up stuff, etc. I didn't mind the drive as I love driving but it got expensive with gas. They do not pay you for gas but you are supposed to be able to deduct this from your taxes. It didn't work in my favor. This job IS COMMISSION ONLY!!! There is no base salary so unless you have savings to live off of, you may not make it. I was the #1 sales rep several times but when I made a sale the client did not have money or credit to pay. So although you make sales and look good on paper or no the white board, your paycheck isn't showing anything. I had to use my savings and ended up with nothing in the end after 7 months. In addition to this, some of the locations I had to drive to do do presentations were hours away... up to 4 hours sometimes. AND some of the locations were not in the safest neighborhoods. I was scared several times. The hours you work also are so-so as some of your appts would last 2-4 hours and you may not get home til 9 p.m. or midnight.

Advice to Management

Pay for gas. Give a base salary. This has put me in debt and I am still trying to get back to normal after 2 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. Awesome Summer Experience

Current Employee - MBA Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - MBA Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in their Logistics Strategy Team within Supply Chain. It was a great experience, worked with some brilliant people on some real business problems. The beauty of the position was that the problems came from all across the business units and very dispersed in terms of deliverables or challenges needed to be solved. Great work life balance and flexibility, and it just helps you to keep motivated to work hard.

Cons

It was challenging to incorporate multiple priorities of various business units that were involved in a single project. Having synergy in terms of goals or well under stood target could have helped to improve results. Incorporating customers' feedback more into the system will help to become more customer friendly and in-turn will result in more customer loyalty.

Advice to Management

Put more effort on capturing customer feedback to better understand customer expectations.

2. Good place to learn things on your own. But the management is really weak.

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Sears as an intern

Pros

Company is going through transformation. There are a lot of opportunities.

Cons

The organization and management of the projects is not proper. Salary is less.