A great place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hagerstown, MD
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sears full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Offer developmental opportunities to advance in the company, friendly environment, great life/work balance. Very professional company overall.

Cons

Pay is low for most hourly associates. Managers work 6 days a week and long hours during the holiday (4th quarter) season. Company is very driven by numbers and can be stressfull.

Advice to Management

The company offers excellent opportunities for personal growth in certain employment areas. Growth in the company is there but they do not pay well for people who move up from within. The culture that has been embedded in the company makes it one of the most genuine places to work and most people I believe are very satisfied.

reviews filtered by
  1. I would not recommend if you really love to merchandise especially if you are a lead. You are too busy playing manager.

Current Employee - Merchandise Lead in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Merchandise Lead in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Sears full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Day hours if you like early hours

Cons

You must work nights and then again early mornings, and the leadership isn't good at teaching you anything but they expect you to know everything.

Advice to Management

Redesign your crew. The way it is set up is a joke. You can't do your job because you are too busy doing management jobs. If I'm suppose to merchandise then let me. And they have people doing steps that are not necessary. They waste a huge amount of money in the way they run things.

Do not work here

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Associate in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Sears part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to know your Coworkers, because you are all "enduring" working there.

Cons

I could write pages but I have a job interview to prepare for. Upper management is terrible. You have goals that have nothing to do with sears directly making money or you making money for the matter. It's Base + commission (Base being $6, and commission being nearly 1% of most transactions). You pretty much get minimum wage half the time, an the other half maybe an extra buck. You have to push reward membership that customers don't understand, getting their email for marketing purposes, and having a good BOT aka Balance of Transactions (Which means your forced to check out customers with a very slow and awkward ipod touch or ipad with bad software) 90% percent of customers just stare at you while you stare at the loading screen during the Point-of-Sale. A normal check out you would ring on the register would take about 2 minutes, pretty slow. A normal check out on an ipod or ipad can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes (it varies because if you need to back out at the end if a customer changes their mind about something you need to start all over). Management knows it is inefficient but will still chew you out and put you on an improvement plan if you don't use them and instead use the faster register (except black Friday, they let you use registers then). Since I've been working there they never mention anything about my sales being good, it's all about rewards, emails, and ipods (None make you money). But then again the goals and focuses at sears change all the time. There's probably about 15-20 different metrics, and managements interests in the different metrics change all the time depending on what one district feels like yelling about. Sears reminds me of a chicken with its head cut off. The company doesn't fully understand what it wants or needs, and they are currently experimenting around with the stupidest of things. I've never grown to hate anything in my life till I worked here.

Advice to Management

Tell corporate they have no idea what their doing.