Revolving door

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Great people. Lots of positions and opportunities to work in different areas of the business. Company with a long, solid history.

Cons

Low pay across the board. Difficult to hire good support team when the payroll plan dictates only minimum wage. Turnover is high with hourly staff as well as management. Change management skills are a must as the company seems to change course every year.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they are worth, they will stay, and you will have a stronger team that can help to build a stronger company. Recognize long term associates for their experience and utilize that experience to train the "new blood".

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Many changes here

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sears

Pros

The organization was a good one. The purchase by KMart has been painful, but there have been some improvements. For someone new to management, it would be a good starting place.

Cons

Some of the recent changes end up with fewer resources to get the same things done.

Advice to Management

Continue to work to get the old school people out. They say they want to change thisngs, but not really.

2. Retail at its embarrassingly worst

Current Employee - Consultative Sales Consultant - Electronics in Rome, GA
    Current Employee - Consultative Sales Consultant - Electronics in Rome, GA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

I work with a few good people. Can make solid income during Holiday season.

Cons

Manager is consistently patronizing, "I don't care what you have to say." That was told to me yesterday. Communication is the equivalent to high school gossip. Compensation and Commission is EMBARRASSING. 1% of all electronics, 9% on overpriced Protection agreements. Antiquated computer system, still using DOS for Point of Sale. Inventory levels are never sufficient.

Advice to Management

I work in a store that is constantly reminded how bad they are, it is a constant reminder that we are completely inferior to store level management as well as our competition. Its shocking sales associates have stayed there as long as they have given the way they are treated. The morale is at an all time low. Our store is motivated by fear of job security. Without question, the worst work experience I have ever had.