Sears

www.searshc.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Good work environment and opportunities for advancement, but pay not competetive to other big box retailers.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Good work life balance. Good and diverse work environment. Benefits are comparable to other Fortune 500 companies. Opportunities for advancement readily available if you have the ability.

Cons

Compensation is not competetive to other big box retailers, partly as a result of higher number of internal hires, who often lack a competetive level of education. Culture can be insular due to high employee tenure and resistance to change.

Close the gap in pay between Sears and Kmart logistics management teams. Think long term and start paying for individual performance and bring back the 401(k) match. Otherwise, there will be a significant brain drain in the logistics network as soon as the economy improves. Lastly, consider other options for 401(k) administrators, instead of ING, who is ripping us off with high fees. Vanguard would be a very good choice.

4612 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Middle and upper management has no clue how to build a team

Former Employee - User Experience in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - User Experience in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sears

Pros

- Working at an established company like Sears looks good on the resume.
    - The benefits are decent.
    - Lots of good, smart, fun peers and colleagues. I built a great network of folks I continue to stay in touch with.

Cons

Working on the creative/user experience team for Online Services, I found that middle and upper management has no clue how to lead or build effective teams. Those appointed to management positions in most cases have no management experience or people skills, and act as if the simple fact that they have a management title entitles them to disrespect "underlings". Creativity is stifled because all aspects of the design is dictated from above and so very little brainstorming is allowed to take place. Designers have no real sense of ownership, in the end it's all up to the whims of management.

Across the board, communication is poor, and this trickles down from upper management. There's no rhyme or reason to why things are done the way they are, and those who bring new ideas to the table to improve the process are basically ignored. For someone who genuinely wants to improve things, it's a discouraging environment. It's a dinosaur of a company and despite how innovative the online business unit claims to be, the "we're doing things the way we've been doing things" culture is ingrained.

It's probably too late, but this is my advice: Respect the employees you've hired. Get to know them, coach them, empower them. Build a team! Don't make the mistake of assuming you're somehow better than them. Take some management courses, or at the very least buy a copy of "Leadership for Dummies"!

Applications depend on experts

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Hoffman Estates, IL

I worked at Sears

Pros

Regular challenges, remote desktop connectivity, great campus

Cons

Always busy, very reactive culture as opposed to planning based

too many layoffs and reorgs to sustain momentum

There are newer employer reviews for Sears