Sears

There are newer employer reviews for Sears

OK

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Money schedule, perks time off :ile that they will help you advance if that is you ultimate goal. Good company.

Cons

Managers are bone headed, young associates not interested in working, holiday hours. Upper management is not the best team to work with.

Start to pay more.recognize employees, they are what make you get paid. realize that hard work should be recognized. ok

4437 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Selling Appliances

Former Employee - Salesperson in West Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Salesperson in West Orange, NJ

I worked at Sears

Pros

I worked this as a summer job. Even if you don't see selling Appliances as a true career goal, it can be a great experience. You meet all sorts of people and there is decent comraderie among the staff.

Cons

If you are working a job like appliance salesperson you take the standard cons of the territory: Low compensation and occasional strange whims of the store manager.

If you work at an outlet center, sometimes you wind up misleading your customers about true quality.

The shipping company used at the time damaged a lot of appliances and annoyed many customers. Ditch 'em.

Middle and upper management has no clue how to build a team

Former Employee - User Experience in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - User Experience in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sears

Pros

- Working at an established company like Sears looks good on the resume.
    - The benefits are decent.
    - Lots of good, smart, fun peers and colleagues. I built a great network of folks I continue to stay in touch with.

Cons

Working on the creative/user experience team for Online Services, I found that middle and upper management has no clue how to lead or build effective teams. Those appointed to management positions in most cases have no management experience or people skills, and act as if the simple fact that they have a management title entitles them to disrespect "underlings". Creativity is stifled because all aspects of the design is dictated from above and so very little brainstorming is allowed to take place. Designers have no real sense of ownership, in the end it's all up to the whims of management.

Across the board, communication is poor, and this trickles down from upper management. There's no rhyme or reason to why things are done the way they are, and those who bring new ideas to the table to improve the process are basically ignored. For someone who genuinely wants to improve things, it's a discouraging environment. It's a dinosaur of a company and despite how innovative the online business unit claims to be, the "we're doing things the way we've been doing things" culture is ingrained.

It's probably too late, but this is my advice: Respect the employees you've hired. Get to know them, coach them, empower them. Build a team! Don't make the mistake of assuming you're somehow better than them. Take some management courses, or at the very least buy a copy of "Leadership for Dummies"!

There are newer employer reviews for Sears