There are newer employer reviews for Sears

It's an ok place to work if you have little or no experience

Former Employee - Cashier in El Cajon, CA
Former Employee - Cashier in El Cajon, CA

I worked at Sears

Pros

Teamwork is good, Pay is ok, flexibility in scheduling, good way to gain sales experience, good benefits if you are full-time

Cons

Management, not enough hours, credit is pushed too much on you and you have to meet a certain quota or they cut your hours.

I just think management should care more about their employees and create a better environment for them to work in.

reviews filtered by
  1. It was okay. people nice. pay is not good... no raises EVER

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Putnam, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Putnam, CT

I worked at Sears

Pros

time off is usually given
    no one staring over your shoulder
    get to know what is going on sale
    discount

Cons

short hours and shift times
    not knowing the schedule until 3 days before the start of the week
    no matter how hard or how little you worked there were NEVER any raises.... just work harder!
    bonus programs with no or little follow through

notice when empolyees do good work and say something about it. train the leads.

Revolving door of talent but management could care less

Current Employee - In the Online Business Unit in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - In the Online Business Unit in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Sears

Pros

* Sears has somehow been able to lure talented people to work here so you're not dealing with incompetent buffoons. Now retaining them past a year or two is a totally different story...

* Can't see any other real benefits besides the 10% employee discount on our non-competitively priced products. More often then not employees will purchase items from our competitors to save money.

* Beats being unemployed...

Once the job market picks up, this company will see an large exodus of talent. It's already starting to happen but hey the market is bad so we'll find someone who's desperate enough to work here.

Cons

Poor work life balance - going on vacation? Bring your laptop or blackberry with you because you're going to be asked to work. You will literally be asked to do so because they want to make sure they can reach you and have you help if necessary (and it will be...).

Poor compensation - as previously mentioned by another reviewer, you better negotiate a nice starting salary because it'll be the last time you see an increase. Haven't seen a pay increase in 3 years despite healthy reviews. Achieved bonus once and given current business trend, will not be expecting one this year.

Lack of career development opportunity. You are a resource brought in to do a job. Do your job right and you'll be left alone. Make a mistake, be prepared to become a sacrificial lamb or berated in front of your co-workers to be made an example of (Hasn't happened to me but I've witness this a number of times with different teams).

Poor vacation time, health insurance benefits are expensive given the size of this organization (previous employer insurance cost were 1/3 of what they are here), no 401k match (wouldn't matter since they match with company stock - do you really want stock in this company?), technologically behind the times with systems that cannot communicate with each other, facilities are in poor condition. Once had external vendors on site for meetings after we had a rain storm. Throughout our atrium we had garbage cans scattered about to capture the dripping water leaking through the buildings roof. If I cared about this company I would have been embarrassed.

As you can already tell - there are a number of cons.

What's the point? Any advise given to this group of people will fall upon deaf ears. Once the value of the real estate held by SHC goes back up (we are worth more on paper because we own most of the buildings our stores are in) this company will be broken up and sold for scrap. We're already licencing out our brands to our competitors - You can go into an Ace hardware store and buy Craftsman tools. Besides appliances and Craftsman tools, why would you come to Sears?

There are newer employer reviews for Sears