Sears

www.searshc.com
  www.searshc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sears

Working at Sears from a management perspective.

I have been working at Sears

Pros

As part of the Senior Management Team is a store. There is a work life balance. The ASMs work between 45-50 hours a week and as the SM I work between 55-60 hours weekly. There are many opportunities when your at this level. Each store is different and depends on the SM. With in my store I encourage upward movement and push managers to reach there next goal.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. For SMs they are in the ballpark, but if you are up and coming with in the organization don't expect a large raise. With ASMs there base pay is below the average of other retailers. For associates there is no pay based on experience and most positions are minimum wage. With associates that sell. There are 100% commissioned. They will receive a base pay of minimum wage if they do not sell enough, but this is done on bank draw basis. One week they could do bad and get MW and then have a great week and have to put the money from the previous week back to the bank. A big discouragement for Store Managers is the lack of direction and focus from the Senior Leadership team. They are always a step behind other retailers and are never the leader.

For Senior Leadership. Focus on one thing and get good at that. Then move on to the next. Take advice from the field and listen to what your stores are telling you. Be the Leader! This is an institution of Retail. Playing catchup will not work forever.

4296 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

I Thought Lincoln Freed the Slaves!

I worked at Sears

Pros

Employee discounts. Great product mix. Lands' End to Craftsman Tools, etc.

Cons

Inept, unskilled and overwhelmed management is everywhere. Everyone lives and dies by numbers. An employee is only as good as their last good sales performance. Sears would hire Charles Manson if they though he could provide good numbers. This may be typical for retail but Sears is a soulless place. Many managers are overstressed and overworked. Consequently, their basic social skills are non-existent.

Go back to basics. Spend more time developing people. Don't just reward people for making numbers but also reward them in how they got there. Did they develop and help others along the way of did they step all over people.

Upper Management is very unfair.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Sears

Pros

Well, you get a 20% discount on clothing? That's all I can come up with. Sorry. Not a great job.

Cons

DM gets pushed by corporate, so they push the store managers, who push the ASMs, who push your lead, who treat you like dirt for it. Especially if you can't meet they're extreme credit sales goals. I put up with it for 3 years until, my hours were cut to SIX a month, because, I didn't get a credit application that month and anything less than 5 is unacceptable. (no matter how many transactions you process, especially frustrating since their business level is abismal.)

Managers seem to forgot that employees deserve respect and compassion, despite sales. corporate needs to treat store management better and work would be better for all associates. And no one wants your high intrest cards!

There are newer employer reviews for Sears