There are newer employer reviews for Sears

I would definitely describe it as a period of growth both personality and business.

Current Employee - Lead in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Lead in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sears

Pros

Something different everyday, ability to learn all aspects of the retail experience. Definitely broadened my knowledge of retail operations, merchandising, drive sales and profitability.

Cons

Direction from corporate often did not get translated well to the associates. Upper management expected a lot out of middle management. Lack of resources available to carry out expectations.

They need to divulge mare information to store associates especially the management teams that are running the day to day operations.

4001 Other Employee Reviews for Sears (View Most Recent)

Like living under a mushroom - kept in the dark and given manure.

Current Employee - Training Team Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Training Team Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sears

Pros

There are some awesome hourly associates that provide great customer service on a daily basis. They appreciate efforts placed in fighting for them everyday. Front line managers lead them into battle with inadequate equipment, unnecessary and arbitrary rules enforcement and they still provide legendary customer service.

Cons

Senior management team is one sided. Communication and ideas flow one direction - top down. The leadership style is very much cliquish. If you want to be recognized join the clique. Non joiners are left under the mushroom.

Open up communication to flow two directions. Listen to the entire front line management team. Provide real focus groups where honest discussion can take place. Eliminate hand picked clique member only activities.

If anything is going on in your life, Sears does not care.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Sears

Pros

Friendly employees
    Easy first job
    Quick and simple hiring process
    Sales driven
    Employees expected to work

I do note that store to store, things do operate a bit differently, and different people behave differently. I've been employed by two Sears stores in the course of one year.

Cons

Pay is fixed
    Hours are terrible, except for 1 "star" employee per department
    Difficult to transfer
    I had some major emergency problems and had to be rushed to the emergency room more than once. Sears took no regard to the fact that it was literally impossible for me to make it to work and when I got back to work I was treated as if I called in "sick" for a fun day.
    Employees were not told of store changes until after they did something wrong (ex: a change of return policy, employees were not told and many were written up for returning items that they believed to be the correct way, despite the fact that not a single person below assistant store manager was informed of said changes).
    Employees always suspected of stealing when loss prevention notices items going missing and failed to catch whoever actually stole. There was much finger pointing at both locations I worked at.

There are newer employer reviews for Sears