There are newer employer reviews for Sears

I learned a great deal about the consultative selling model, but did not experience the opportunities and growth.

Former Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL
Former Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Digital world growth. Selling process.

Cons

Micromanagement. Outlier environment. Focus on negatives instead of enhancing positives.

Advice to Management

Too many priorities, not enough focus. Focus on sales and store facilities.

Other Employee Reviews for Sears

1. Selling appliances on commission would have been alright if not too many (23) salesmen in one dept.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

Pros

There is work flexibility for the older worker. Adequate training and product availability,(important for commission sales).

Cons

When retail market is down due to economy, Sears responded by hiring more commission salespeople diluting an already shrinking pool of customers. Constant pressure to sell extended warranties and credit products. If customers got upset by pressure and walked out, we were told that was evidence that we were doing our job. Because job was commission vs min wage, job was extremely stressful to overcome things not in our control. We were in competition with Sears.com.

Advice to Management

Support the long term employees who have been loyal while stock prices (retirement )have dropped.

2. "a hedge fund with retail outlets."

Former Employee - District Contractor Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - District Contractor Manager in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Good pay and reasonable benefits. Most of the people you work with are good people.

Cons

Strictly a top down organization. No one below the director level really knows what the long term strategy is, and they like it that way. They are brutal in their efficiency decisions, the is no loyalty towards employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. You have competent folks in the front lines, stop disregarding them.