Amazing Place!

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is by far one of the most amazing institutions out there. The hospital, foundation and research institute are one-of-a-kind. I felt like I worked with family when I was employed here.

Cons

They hire people who are over qualified for their positions and then expect them to stay when they can't promote them. The pay is not always fair.

Advice to Management

Advocate more for you employees who work hard and grow revenue and programs. If employees were compensated better there would be less turn over.

Other Employee Reviews for Seattle Children's

Great work environment, helpful and knowledgeable co-workers.

Former Contractor - Senior Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Senior Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Children's as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to be a team member right from the start.

Cons

Super busy and lots of Outlook calendaring during the day, not a con, just the way it is working for the VPs.

Advice to Management

A lot of capable experienced temps were brought on board that would continue to be a valuable asset if offered a fulltime position with SCH.

Don't trust Human Resources for anything

Current Employee - Ambulatory Clinics in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Ambulatory Clinics in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Children's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, child care, ok salaries.

Cons

Good salaries = lazy apathetic employees. Good people seem to leave and lazy minimal effort employees seem to stay.

Advice to Management

The management herd needs to be thinned. It's great that other local hospitals had layoffs and Children's didn't, but how many middle aged, middle management employees does a hospital need. There seems to be a lot of six figure income managers who do nothing all day, but have meetings with each other figuring out ways to look busy. There is an intrinsic culture of "review yourself" and "tell us how we can be better" that permeates Seattle Children's ethos. The reality is, it's all busy work. It's non-revenue employees, making additional work for the hard working revenue employees while patting themselves on the back for teamwork. A culture of "give me your opinion so you feel good", but we will just ignore it. In the ten years I have worked here there have been numerous programs and silly ideas from management to improve the hospital. This included employee treasure chests similar to the treasure chests we keep toys in for the kids excepts they contained stale candy bars, poisonous plastic water bottles, and ID lanyards. We went through Japanese organizational training where you outlined the telephone, stapler, tape dispenser, and monitor at your desk with colorful tape and labeled each item what it obviously was. Then there were Waste Trees, Caught You at Your Best forms, ARTist of the month awards, and now GEMBA worksheets. All of these ideas hyped to death for months on end and then quickly abandoned and left to sit, dusty in front of the hard working employees like monuments to the previous managers promotion. So remember, you will do well at Seattle Children's if you don't mind working twice as hard as the person next to you, buy into the next greatest management fad that comes down the pipe with little thought to its efficacy, and realize that Children's will drop you faster than you can imagine if you are unfortunate enough to make a mistake that embarrasses them while you work at maximum capacity. Most of the Children's HR team comes from Starbucks and they are horrible. If you have an issue expect them to tell you up front that they are there to protect the hospital and reinforce management. The only way you will seamy action, event with rampant departmental dysfunction is if they sense liability to the hospital in any form. If you want to see an example of Children's employee relations, look up the nurse who was fired for making a decimal error mistake in 2011. An unfortunate story that ends badly with Children's turning their back on a 24 year employee and it's unfortunate conclusion.