Seattle Times

There are newer employer reviews for Seattle Times

How much longer?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hopefully they will be remembered fondly in the future.

Cons

It's been heartbreaking to see the company fall apart over the last several years. The Seattle Times once stood for something and was a company you could be proud to work at, sadly that has changed rather dramatically in the last 3+ years.

Time to implement your exit strategy.

75 Other Employee Reviews for Seattle Times (View Most Recent)

Lacks integrity

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome. I have made some great lifelong friends at the Times. Convenient location, close to bus lines. Brand recognition.

Cons

Rather than venting about everything I didn't like about this job, I'll say that overall the Seattle Times lacks integrity in relation to their employees. I worked here twice---two years the first time, then I moved out of state to care for family members. When offered the sales position, I was told that I could easily make the money I was looking for. A few days into the job, I learned that it wasn't even possible to make that amount because of caps on commission. When I left, they tried to deny my unemployment, which I appealed and won.

A few years later, I came back for a temporary position that was supposed to turn permanent. When the permanent position became available, I was told that although I was meeting my goals and was a great contributor, they were not offering me the position because I have a foster child with special needs and I took too much time off for my child's doctors appointments. How much time is "too much" you ask? Once a month I had to take off an hour or two early to take him to the doctor. I always made up my time and finished my work, yet although several others required special accommodations, the one accommodation I needed "didn't jive well with their busy call center environment"...by busy they meant about 20 calls a week between 6 account reps. They actually told me that FMLA doesn't apply to my family...doesn't the "F" stand for "Family"? So, they won't employ a foster parent who cares for special needs children, but they sure will boast about their donations to their Fund for the Needy.

There are so many issues in this organization--micromanaging, managers who won't listen to employees' ideas yet blame those same employees for the failures of the organization, it takes forever to get promoted or move to another position within the company, management spends lots on money on band aid solutions that don't work, but will not even consider long term proven solutions if they cost money. While I was there the second time, they hired a "consultant" that had just been terminated by another failing paper, to come in and consult on how to get more business. Her consulting consisted of taking some of our ideas and relaying them to management. They spent money on this! Yet when I actually researched what other successful and GROWING papers were doing and made suggestions based on what they were doing, my ideas were laughed at.

Ah well, so Seattle Times is not the employer for me.

Hire your managers based on their qualifications and expertise, not based on who they are friends with. Listen to your employees and trust that sometimes they know what will work better than upper management does. Stand behind your word.

Great environment but could use some improvement

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Times full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company values, work/life balance, and employees make working for The Seattle Times a true joy. They are competitive with payment if you're an external candidate and offer a better than average amount of sick and vacation time.

Cons

In an industry that is constantly changing to keep up with technology and social trends, The Seattle Times tends to be a little behind many of their competitors. This then puts stress on the staff to constantly try to "catch up" with the newest and latest...whatever it is the company is rolling out.

Don't just listen to your employees - take what they say to heart and know they want the company to succeed just as much as you do.

There are newer employer reviews for Seattle Times