Sedgwick Claims Management Services

www.sedgwickcms.com
  www.sedgwickcms.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Decent job, but you're going to work for it

Current Employee - Disability Specialist in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Disability Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Excellent benefits/ample PTO
-Flex-time and work from home options (depending on your account)
-Tuition/education reimbursement
-Casual work environment

Cons

-The 37.5 hour work week is a myth if you're a salaried employee.
-Culture of "yes" which means if the client wants it, Sedgwick says yes and case workers now have more work/details to manage without adding to the workforce or increasing compensation.
-If you're coming to an already established account, you'll only get to shadow instead of receiving formal training. Can be overwhelming.
-Lack of communication between departments. Customer service doesn't understand how the disability department works, no communication between disability and worker's compensation, etc.
-Your personal experience will be very different depending upon which account you work for.

-Work with Operations Managers and Team Leads to create formal training specific to each account instead of just the generic software tutorials on the portal.
-Advocate for your employees to balance client wishes with employee needs. Be more pro-active in managing an account's workforce by adding members as needed.
-Provide cross-training for departments that will work on the same account. Someone in customer service won't be managing claims, but being able to answer basic questions about claims handling greatly decreases the frustration of claimants and allows case managers more time to actually manage claims instead of just taking phone calls and answering basic questions.

281 Other Employee Reviews for Sedgwick Claims Management Services (View Most Recent)

Would not recommend - treats acquisitions like crap

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilliard, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hilliard, OH

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can't think of a single thing that I enjoyed about working here.

Cons

I was part of the Nationwide Better Health acquisition and I couldn't have felt more like the red-headed stepchild. We were all uprooted and moved to a different building and then herded into a tiny, tiny office like cattle. We were told not to socialize with the "real" Sedgwick "colleagues" (a word that Sedgwick uses incessantly, that I HATE) on the other floors, driving home the whole segregation thing.

Yes men and yes women are promoted to supervisors while people who do the grunt work, with caseloads of 450+ are not acknowledged except to have a report shoved in their face twice a day.

Pay was not increased to match the salaries of "real" Sedgwick associates upon acquisition, so we were all paid a good 20% less than market value.

You get a fair amount of PTO, but management gives you a hard time when trying to use it. Also, don't expect anyone to cover your work while you're out because there aren't enough employees to cover each account. I worked on a 50,000-life client with ONE other person, when there should have been a minimum of 4 people on the account.

Training consists of hiring people and sticking them in a tiny cubicle to observe current associates, which puts people even further behind, as they are now playing the role of trainer in addition to their other duties. Sedgwick also hires temps at an alarming rate.

Work flow is idiotic. WAY too many phone calls made to sick people who don't want to be called. Can't tell you how many times claimants told me to stop calling them and to let them try to get well in peace. You spend more time on the phone than you have time in the day....

Which means....you are expected to stay late. I mean, they don't even ask. It's just, oh, so when you stay until 8:00 tonight, you should be able to get this done. They don't even bat an eyelash. Don't even ask you if you can. It's just assumed. Which is BONKERS. And then you get yelled at for reporting OT without asking first. Insane.

Stop acquiring other companies. You clearly have no vision of how to treat those you assimilate, or places to put them. Move the NBH associates out of Hilliard and into a suitable building. They are packed in there like sardines, next to the restrooms and annoying elevator vestibule. INCREASE SALARIES AND HIRE ACTUAL FULL TIME ASSOCIATES. Plan ahead and have enough people on accounts that convert or are new clients. Your planning is godawful! The implementation team obviously needs an overhaul.

I am so happy to be out from under the thumb of this overbearing, faceless corporation.

Sedgwick Review by former employee

Former Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits. 401K match plan.

Cons

Company does not service clients. The dollar is the bottom line. Would not recommend. Adjusters are burned out quickly. Upper management is detached from their book of business and high turnover.

The client is the reason you have a job. Not the other way around.

There are newer employer reviews for Sedgwick Claims Management Services