Poor Communication

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Staff Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seiler

Pros

You get a paycheck and benefits. That is really the only Pro of this job, very poor work environment overall.

Cons

Poor communication between levels of management. As a first year employee you are expected to simply figure it out on your own. Not a good place to start your career. Also, there is a high level of gossip between the Human Resources staff and their friends. Also, management is extremely resistant to listening to ideas on how to make the new hire training better.

Advice to Management

Train your new staff more hands on. Give a clear cut map of what due dates are, and what is expected to be done for them. Give more frequent software trainings.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great place to start in public accounting

Current Employee - Tax Staff Accountant in Redwood Shores, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Staff Accountant in Redwood Shores, CA

I have been working at Seiler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constantly learning and exposed to new scenarios; consistently challenged.

Excellent people who are very friendly and will go out of their way to help you understand new concepts.

Very flexible hours, I am able to set my own schedule of when I come in the office as long as I communicate with my managers.

Excellent busy season perks, nightly dinners, tax incentive days, weekly raffles among other things that help to make the busy season better.

Generous compensation, benefits, and PTO. Coming right out of college, I was especially pleased with the amount of PTO that new staff starts with. (3 weeks PTO + tax incentive days (I got 11 additional days last busy season)

HR is very receptive to requests and feedback and responds quickly.

Cons

Technology could be updated a bit, sometimes computer issues can make the day frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. Tax Manager

Current Employee - Tax Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Seiler full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Seiler without a doubt has been the best experience I have had working at an accounting firm. I interned at two accounting firms and then worked full time at another Bay Area firm for 2 years. Seiler has not only kept me happy and motivated, it has challenged me to be a better person in all facets of my life:

-They are extremely flexible! If you have a preferred schedule they will do everything they can to be accommodating to your needs
    -They actively seek to listen to their employees feedback to make workplace changes
    -Busy season incentives
    -They hire people that fit the firm culture to ensure that it is upheld and it is a place where people enjoy working with their peers
    -They are receptive to new ideas, if it makes sense, it will most likely be implemented
    -Seiler promotes a work-life balance to the full extent that is possible for an accounting firm
    -Seiler does a wonderful job of recognizing the individuals that work hard consistently and make sure they are promoted accordingly
    -BIGGEST Pro, they treat you like a fully functional adult. Seiler understands that everyone has their own lives and they do not want to be micro managed. You are given your client list and as long as you are responsible and get your work done, you can work the best way for you

Cons

It is hard to come up with unique cons that I have had with Seiler. But here are a few issues that I personally deal with:

-Like all accounting firms, busy season can be extremely hard. There will always be those individuals that excel and get loaded with more work
    -There are some space constraints so managers do not have their own office
    -As difficult as it is to find good staff that are dedicated, we need more people
    -As a new manager I am still doing some prep work instead of full time review

Advice to Management

We need to find more dedicated hard working individuals and do a better job of out of college recruiting. It is too hit or miss with our candidates. Otherwise, continue to feed us and keep our incentives coming!