There are newer employer reviews for Select Medical

A bittersweet lesson about life, death, and money.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

-Excellent patient care

-Continuous training for care givers

-Clinical staff genuinely care about their patients

-Proper emphasis placed on patient safety

-HIH facilities can easily transfer to host ICU(s)

Cons

-Noticeable change in patient care strategy when SEM became publically traded.

-Daily Patient Conversion meetings became focused on financial income rather than patient outcomes.

-Patient marketing and admissions prioritized by "pay for performance".

-Extreme pressure placed on case managers to discharge patients in order to receive full reimbursement from Medicare.

-Core values do not apply to corporate executives. Specifically: “We treat others as we would like to be treated” and “We are team players”. I’ve experienced several teleconferences in which our well educated and extremely knowledgeable local executive team had been berated and belittled by a Senior VP when profit margins and census were not met. Soon after I watched the entire team trickle out in a span of three months and move on to different ventures. The corporate office has since replaced our dream team with inexperienced, power-hungry, reputation-damaging androids.

Advice to Management

I don’t have any advice. I just have a simple quote from Douglas Adams:

“To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.”

reviews filtered by

Difficult, but you can learn otj and they will hire inexperienced staff, good for a foot in the door

Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Nurse Aide in Denver, CO

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

Learning, colleagues, small size, 2 locations in Denver

Cons

poor pay and expensive benefits

Advice to Management

If you drink their Kook-aid, you can advance

Good benefits but very poor management and no communication with corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

Good benefits, some departments have flexible scheduling, PTO and EID better than a lot of hospitals, no mandatory overtime in all departments

Cons

Management very poor and most not qualified for their positions but promoted because they will follow orders of top two running the company at the local level. Complaints to the Compliance hotline and HR hotline have gotten employees no response even though Select assured us when they took over that they would always be available. Serious issues with payroll since Select took over Regency. Quality of care is no longer the primary focus and there has been a mass exit of clinical employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are telling you. You will get the hard work and loyalty you expect if you show them respect and praise them for jobs well done.

There are newer employer reviews for Select Medical