There are newer employer reviews for Select Medical

There are managers so preoccupied with their e-mail messages that they never look up from their screens to see what's ha

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

The inpatient clinical nursing staff are required to attend on-going education via live and recorded web-based instruction. The depth and breadth of the cirriculum furthers their knowledge for superior patient care and safety. The nurses genuinely care care for both patient and patient families.

Cons

Select Medical is a for profit corporation. The inpatient division is referral based. The administrative executives place too much emphasis on bottom line costs and not enough emphasis on the actual patient. It seems they are more concerned about turning a profit on an ill person and less concerned for their quality of life.

Advice to Management

It is possible to care for both patient and profit. Respect and listen to the administrative talent that is still left, for someday you may be your own patient.

reviews filtered by

Don't let the Kessler connection fool you

Current Employee - PT, Department
    Current Employee - PT, Department

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

Big promises about how much support the company would provide
    Great new equipment that does not meet the needs of SNF population

Cons

Worst management ever
    Workaholic manger expects all staff to work like her
    Unrealistic caseload demand that forces therapists to work overtime without their consent
    Poor communication between manager and employees
    All about hitting the ultra-high RUG without taking patients' conditions into consideration

Advice to Management

If you have a high turn-over rate of employees, that tells you something is really wrong with the way the employees are being treated. Therapists are doing their best to treat the patients well but it is very difficult for therapists to keep a happy face without being treated fairly and nicely by management.

Thinking of Working for Select?

Former Employee - COTA/L
    Former Employee - COTA/L

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

The pros of working for Select are the benefits. They aren’t too bad compared to other companies. If you work enough minutes of therapy a month, you can cash in points … I always got the Starbucks cards so I could sell them on eBay. I know.. what’s a coffee card, right? But hey, it’s better than nothing. Their 401K match was reasonable; the health insurance wasn’t too shabby as the deductible was quite reasonable. (I’m paying $3500/year deduction now w/another company).

Cons

The downside to working for Select? The minutes. God, it was awful. 480 minutes in an 8 hr. day and me and 1 other therapists would have to work close to 800 minutes day in 8 hours. True, Select was good with overtime and I worked every Saturday at time and a half if I wanted it. Since I’m single, I didn’t mind but others might. I’d still be with Select if the nursing home I worked at didn’t lose the contract which forced me to look elsewhere. Another downside is that Select is soooo big (they are out of PA), it’s hard to find somebody to answer a question sometimes but the personnel at headquarters seemed n ice and would try to find that one person who could address my concerns. When I first started, they tried to snow me into thinking they couldn’t afford to pay me much. Don’t let them do that to you. They can afford it, trust me.

Advice to Management

It’ll be interesting to see what you are going to do with the new Medicare changes come fall. You can't expect your therapists to provide quality thearpy to 20 people at a time and not think that the gravy train will end eventually.