SemanticBits

www.semanticbits.com
  www.semanticbits.com
There are newer employer reviews for SemanticBits

Excellent people to surround yourself with & Undoubtedly a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been in this company for close to 5 years now. Its very disheartening to see some of the comments written here about the company in which I work. It's more from disgruntled employees or for some the grapes are sour. Just venting out your ire anonymously won't help. I am not saying Semanticbits is the best company, but it definitely is not mediocre or the way some of my current or ex colleagues have written.

Here is my UN-biased opinion.

* Ram Chilukuri our CEO, strongly believes in making a difference in every employee's life.

* Excellent working environment with really smart and knowledgeable people. Great Opportunity to learn new technologies and enhance your skills. Its the perfect company for learning & grooming. I would like to call it a "Budding Developers Paradise" & i am sure Senior folks will enjoy the freedom and challenges.

* Freedom to be yourself and go wild as far as your creativity & innovation is concerned.

* At Semanticbits we follow very well know & latest engineering practices. I can confidently say we have a inclination towards latest & greatest.

* Appraisal is yearly. AFAIK, employees have had pay raises every year for the past 4 years. There are no bonuses like in financial companies. NOTE: We all know, that the best time for Salary negotiation is at the time of joining. Once you are in, there will be no Salary adjustment. So do your research and negotiate right before you join ANY company.

* Certifications & Trainings in the line of work are eligible for re-reimbursement. These have to be self-initiated and discussed as part of growth plan during annual review meetings.

* Semanticbits strongly believes in co-located teams. Working remotely for longer durations (more than a day or two) is usually discouraged. But on a case by case basis, i have seen employee's with pressing needs/reasons being approved to work remotely for as long as a week.

* Company annual party is held during the month of October. Loads of eating, drinking & dancing. We also have a rewards ceremony, where in, outstanding performers are awarded and rewarded in front of family members, friends & colleagues.

* Happy hour twice a month. If that gets boring the whole company goes Bowling. If Bowling gets boring anybody is free to suggest what they like to do. If it is feasible, it will definitely be organized.

Cons

* Appraisal system needs a re-haul. Seniors in the company have been asked to provide feedback in this area of concern. I personally feel that this area of concern will be addressed pretty soon.

* Growth is another area of concern. Company needs to grow in-order for people in the company to grow. When this is the case "Patience is precious", if you are keen about growth.

* Mentoring skills have to be honed. There are highly skilled people at Semanticbits & there is a lot of potential for mentoring.

Need to better communicate the vision and progress being made towards that vision, more accountability needs to be put in place so that individuals can direct action towards the vision & stretch the organization to perform exceptionally.

14 Other Employee Reviews for SemanticBits (View Most Recent)

There are better options, think again before you join.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a. Chance to work on relatively new technologies like Hibernate, Spring and Grails.
    b. People leaving here are in top class firms with better benefits.

Cons

There are many, but the key items are
     a. There is no proper vision and business model.
     b. There is no specific salary structure some "pets of the CEO" are getting 120K, where a normal Software Engineer is stuck on 80K for the past 2 years. (Do a search on http://www.flcdatacenter.com/) to confirm what I am saying.
     c. No proper salary review, the management really do not care about employee growth and employee benefits are very less compared to industry standards.
     d. Lack of HR process, you need to take care of yourself, like if you want to renew H1, you have to remember it and go behind the company lawyer, and have to pay for H4 extensions.

Please try to change your attitude, otherwise you will loose the key talented people on board.

I have gotten to work with extremely talented people on interesting projects while growing my skills.

Current Employee - Vice President of Biomedical Informatics in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Biomedical Informatics in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits

Pros

SemanticBits employs highly talented, self-motivated people. There is ample opportunity to learn new technologies and enhance skills. Furthermore, the weekly happy hours and yearly parties allow us to grow together as a team, while the structured team and Agile development structure provide for an environment where skills are appreciated. Employees that perform well seem to get excellent raises whereas the review process allows employees to get feedback when they are not meeting expectations.

Cons

Project scope and schedule can be aggressive, and we are often pushing new releases out regularly. Our clients can change their focus rapidly, requiring us to retool and rework.

A better developed employee handbook would be useful. Often project managers can be different than our official supervisor, which can be confusing at times.

There are newer employer reviews for SemanticBits