Sempra Energy

www.sempra.com

Slow, conservative, stable company

Staff Accountant II (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis company is great in that it is very stable. During the economic downturn there were no lay-offs and some employees actually received raises. The benefits package is also great having medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, and a defined contribution pension. There is also a yearly bonus which ranges between 10 and 23 percent based on personal performance and company performance.

ConsThis company is slow to promote employees. This is compounded by the fact that most employees never leave. Many employees have been with the company for over 20 years. There are also some poor managers within the company. The culture of the company seems to assume that if a person masters an area of expertise they will make a great manager and that is often not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be scroutinized more closely. If there seems to be a high turn-over rate within a department/organization there is probably a leadership problem within that organization. Also, consider soliciting ideas from younger employees in ways to improve the technology utilized by overhead personnel. Many things are done in highly inefficient ways because more senior employees are unwilling to change or are not willing to utilize newer, more productive and efficient technologies.

I wish it would have been different

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros: Some departments were wonderful and people were loyal, dedicated and worked for several years until retirement. I think… Cons: Internal department politics played into how I felt about my… Advice to Senior Management: Ensure that hiring decisions are made in an environment that welcomes an outside candidate into a healthy department and into a healthy team.… More

Pretty much very very normal

Communications Manager (Current Employee) Corona de Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sempra Energy

Pros: It's a cool environment, you don't work too hard and the… Cons: The colleagues sometimes are rather mean and the environment is too… Advice to Senior Management: They should just try to be more liberal and be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sempra Energy.

Worked for Sempra Energy? Contribute to the Community!