Sentara Healthcare

www.sentara.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Sentara Healthcare

As a volunteer, I spent most of the time sitting around doing very little.

Former Intern - Auxiliary Volunteer in Williamsburg, VA
Former Intern - Auxiliary Volunteer in Williamsburg, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time to study and do homework during your shift. The nurses were generally very friendly and grateful of the work volunteers did. Great exposure to the different hospital departments especially if you are able to register early and select which department you want to help in. Interactions with patients can be fun. Patients are generally very grateful for your help, especially if you go out of the way to make them feel especially comfortable.

Cons

Nurses don't have a ton of work to give volunteers so it was pretty boring. It was very uncomfortable walking in to patient rooms unannounced and unaccompanied.

Organize specific activities and projects for volunteers.

98 Other Employee Reviews for Sentara Healthcare (View Most Recent)

Ok. Wasn't quite for me.

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Gloucester, VA
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Gloucester, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved the co workers and direct managers. Small group of staff who cares for their patients and community

Cons

Upper management not the best. Pay on lower end. With being an urgent care you don't always know what time you will finish your work day.

I will look for a healthcare company to values ALL of their employees!

Former Employee - Nursing Care Partner in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Nursing Care Partner in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent healthcare benefits, largest employer to work for, many locations.

Cons

Policies are enforced based on the employee's relationship with management, transferring policies, medical leave policies, slow recruitment turn around, pregnancy policies.

Many female employees = Many possible pregnant employees. I think the policies regarding who qualifies for FMLA, MEDICAL LEAVE, SHORT-TERM DISABILITY need to be reviewed. I personally was terminated after returning from short-term disability (did not qualify for FMLA, so my position was not held) because I was unable to obtain a new position within the 30 day time limit. Knowing how recruitment at Sentara works, it really depends on the recruiter on how fast the positions are filled. I can understand that physicians, other advanced level practitioner, and registered nurses are on the top of list in regards to filling positions. However, nursing care partners, administrative associates, environmental services, etc are the on the front lines. They are the associates that are face-to-face with your clients on a daily basis, spending more time with the clients than many healthcare providers. With customer service as a major concern, more consideration should be put into filling those positions. It takes the recruiters more than 30 days to fill a position, ask them!

There are newer employer reviews for Sentara Healthcare