Sentara Healthcare
www.sentara.com Norfolk, VA 5000+ Employees

I will look for a healthcare company to values ALL of their employees!

Nursing Care Partner (Former Employee)
Norfolk, VA

ProsDecent healthcare benefits, largest employer to work for, many locations.

ConsPolicies are enforced based on the employee's relationship with management, transferring policies, medical leave policies, slow recruitment turn around, pregnancy policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany female employees = Many possible pregnant employees. I think the policies regarding who qualifies for FMLA, MEDICAL LEAVE, SHORT-TERM DISABILITY need to be reviewed. I personally was terminated after returning from short-term disability (did not qualify for FMLA, so my position was not held) because I was unable to obtain a new position within the 30 day time limit. Knowing how recruitment at Sentara works, it really depends on the recruiter on how fast the positions are filled. I can understand that physicians, other advanced level practitioner, and registered nurses are on the top of list in regards to filling positions. However, nursing care partners, administrative associates, environmental services, etc are the on the front lines. They are the associates that are face-to-face with your clients on a daily basis, spending more time with the clients than many healthcare providers. With customer service as a major concern, more consideration should be put into filling those positions. It takes the recruiters more than 30 days to fill a position, ask them!

Ok. Wasn't quite for me.

Lab Tech (Current Employee)
    Gloucester, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros: Loved the co workers and direct managers. Small group of… Cons: Upper management not the best. Pay on lower end. With being an urgent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

4 years at Sentara as an RN, in 3 different divisions

Home Care, Hospital Nurse, Outpatient Setting (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Mandatory paid continuing ed for nurses. Relatively good benefits and pay for the… Cons: Each employee is expected to do the job of 2 employees. Sentara, a highly profitable non-profit corporation, focuses on the bottom line and employees… Advice to Senior Management: Care for you employees and enable them to truly care for… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Sentara Healthcare.

Worked for Sentara Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sentara Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sentara Healthcare CEO David L. Bernd. All reviews posted anonymously by Sentara Healthcare employees.