There are newer employer reviews for Sentara Healthcare

Excellent benefits, good place to work.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits -- Sentara has a has a pension plan, tuition assistance, and 403B. Not too many companies nowadays have a pension plan. There are many opportunities for growth. In my department, the leadership is very supportive and caring. Sentara has great training and education. Employee discount at the cafeteria. Many opportunities for volunteering and community involvement.

Cons

The hospitals are grossly understaffed. The pay is quite low compared to cost of living in Hampton Roads, but it is higher than other hospital systems in the area. Sentara does not compensate for the cost of certification exams.

Advice to Management

Shell out some money to hire more staff. More staff means better care for patients, which in turn will lead to higher customer service scores and better patient outcomes.

reviews filtered by

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Sentara Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers were great, but that's about it.

Cons

Administration is clueless and greed driven. The nurse:patient ratios are DANGEROUS! Nurses and NCPs get reprimanded for voicing concerns. Management only looks out for themselves and as long as their units look good on paper, that's all they care about.

Advice to Management

Spend some time on the units with your floor nurses before making your dangerous decisions to 'flex up'. Invest in your nurses and NCPs, we are the ones who make this hospital have any positive remarks. Ask yourselves why you cannot retain nurses and why you're always short staffed. It's because you burn out your staff, treat them poorly, punish them for silly things and put their licenses in jeopardy every single day they work.

Sentara Healthcare Response

Aug 1, 2014Team Coordinator, Recruitment

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience at Sentara Healthcare, we value ... More

2. i have worked in several positions, most the people were caring and honest

I worked at Sentara Healthcare full-time

Pros

excellent benefits , you should work towards advancement . there is alot of opportunity to improve

Cons

THE Starting income is low, but you can improve that as you stay longer

Sentara Healthcare Response

Aug 1, 2014Team Coordinator, Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a enriching experience at Sentara Healthcare