There are newer employer reviews for Sephora

Great Company All Around

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sephora full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sephora really lives by their values. The company thrives off of innovation and gives everyone the opportunity to take initiative and make changes. I have worked for other companies that claim the same thing but don't live up to their word. Hard work and change never gets unnoticed by management.

Cons

No real cons at this time.

590 Other Employee Reviews for Sephora (View Most Recent)

Very fun place to work! LOVED my experience working for Sephora inside JCP.

Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant  in  Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Beauty Product Consultant in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Sephora part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Every month we received a gratis, to try out some of Sephora's products which was awesome. Fun people to work with. Not hard work. Great for people who like to work one on one with customers.

Cons

Non- comission. Not much room for advancement.

Great company values never put into action

Former Employee - Color Consultant  in  Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Color Consultant in Greenwich, CT

I worked at Sephora part-time for more than a year

Pros

•Great training opportunities if you can get them
    •Trying on the latest in trends and products with training and free products is a makeup fanatic's dream.
    •A reasonable healthcare package if you qualify for part time partial or full time (very hard to get full time status) status.
    • Can make some really great friends and network with other industry pros
    •Fast paced environment at times which made the day fly
    •Meeting wonderful clients
    •Fantastic company values which I have seen carried out at other Sephora locations

Cons

•Incredibly difficult to advance even if you are a great makeup artist and sales person. People that had been working there a long time were overlooked for promotions in lieu of newer employees or external hires. We were never notified of advancement opportunities within the company so many employees would end up leaving and work for a competitor.

•Wages are very low for the amount of work that is expected from you. Pay raises were a joke; The 2 raises I did get did not add up to more than a meagerly ¢.20 an hour total.

•Only favorites had regularly scheduled time at the beauty studio (this was after the certification) If a client I was working with requested an express service, I was supposed to hand them over to the makeup artist at the beauty studio. Sorry, but that did not fly with most of my clients. When I build a relationship with a client, it is because I know what I am doing and they trust me. They expect me to guide them until they are ready and not hand them off to someone else. That is completely demeaning towards me as a makeup artist; I know what I am doing.

•Be prepared to work all day at the register if they are short of cashiers or if management just decides to schedule you there for whatever reason. The same people were always called for cash wrap whilst newer employees were not even trained on how to use it.

•Incompetent management which kept changing constantly and overall extremely high employee turnover. I worked there for less than a year and a half and had 6 different leads; by the time I had quit only 2 of my 20 original coworkers were still there.

•A ridiculous amount of micromanagement down to having to "ask" to use the toilet or briefly move out of your zone to help a client with something. Too many leads, one would tell me to do something and another would tell me something completely different.

•Favoritism by store director; she would overlook certain bad behavior from her favorite employees and write up others for minor infractions. Many times I had received excellent reviews or comments from clients who filled out the survey and was never notified or recognized on the board. I was not the only one who this happened to. Meanwhile favorites always had their survey comments read on morning touch base and put up on the board. Of course, those on the board would win extra gratis.

• Ah gratis, many times gratis that was put in my gratis box with my name on it but was never given to me. Again, this happened to other employees as well. The week I resigned, I had a box full of gratis that was "not ready" yet and I never received it either.

• A copious amount of never ending cleaning; there were some days that all I did was clean and I am sure a cleaning service job would have compensated me better. If you want this job you have to be ok with cleaning toilets.

•Scheduling was often not ready on time and we had to wait until Friday to find out the following week's schedule. Even if management was aware that there were certain times or days which I could not work, I was still scheduled and had to suss it out and find a coworker to switch days/hours with me; this was extremely stressful and frustrating. Very inconsistent and irregular schedule which made it difficult to lead a normal life; one week you could very well work 30 hours and the following week 15. Hours were often cut and people were sent home if it was slow or goal was not met.

•Having to clock out and then wait for management to check us out (inspect coat and bags) on our own time before leaving the store for lunch or for the night. Closing meant having to wait for management to come upstairs, check everyone out, turn off lights, set security and throw out the trash all while off the clock. That's right, on our own unpaid time. This often took 10-20 minutes. When I brought this up to management I was met with disdain and a "we all have to help out" reply. Very strict on clocking in time; you cannot clock in a minute late because it will count as a tardy. There is no flexibility whatsoever, unless of course, you are clocking out.

• I could go on ranting about other horrible bad boss behavior but rather not as it pertains to this particular location. There are other Sephora stores where upper management is phenomenal.

Regional managers, please take your employees' grievances seriously when they come to you for help or when they complain in the quarterly review. When you see a store with an extremely high turnover of employees,ask yourself why this is happening. More than likely, the answer has been right under your nose the entire time. If you have a large amount of employees calling HR over having an unprofessional and abusive store director please take it seriously! We put our job on the line and stood up to bad behavior only to be brushed aside and ignored. One employee was told by a regional manager to change her attitude and not complain. If she as much complained or had a grievance she was warned that it would result in her termination.
    Corporate, please pay employees fairly so that they can have a great quality of life and be happy to work for such a great company. I'm sorry, but paying a makeup artist less than $13 an hour (with less than 30 hours a week) is considered poverty wage and you are missing out on some great talent that could be working for you if you paid better. We know you have to make a profit and keep your LVMH shareholders happy but don't forget that a lot of the money is made from the hard working people running the stores and on the sales floor.

There are newer employer reviews for Sephora

Worked for Sephora? Contribute to the Community!