Sequoia Benefits

www.sequoia.com
  www.sequoia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sequoia Benefits

EE Benefits, 401(k), Risk Management and HR Services Firm with top notch EEs who deliver for clients and each other.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros – Growth, growth, growth. Company is expanding. Greg Golub is a visionary who has taken the insurance brokerage model and classed it up... provides top tier sales and relationship consultants who deliver on promises. Sequoia is very selective in hiring and high-touch/consultative in their approach to benefits, 401(k) and risk management (p&c) brokering. Strong client value-add with their advanced "MY BENEFITS" iphone and android apps. Sequoia has a very impressive client list -- I get to work with some of the best tech companies in the Bay Area. CEO is very generous to EEs... Entrepreneurial culture.

Cons

Cons – Hiring process can be long -- you meet with a lot of people before a decision is made. They are outgrowing their office space and infrastructure. The latter, I presume, is why they're bringing on a COO. CEO is heavily involved in all aspects of the business - not necessarily a negative but it can slow progress and may impede future growth.

Improve vacation time and grow staff so current staff isn't burned out.

33 Other Employee Reviews for Sequoia Benefits (View Most Recent)

One of the most innovative companies in the professional services industry

Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company continuously proves itself to be one of the most innovative companies in the professional services industry. I've read some of the reviews from ex-employees that have felt slighted in various ways, and I don't hold it against them. It is an incredibly challenging environment. I've definitely felt/experienced some of the same feelings that they have shared. The main thing about Sequoia, though, the thing that always prevails, is that we are always working towards getting better at coming through for our clients. That is what makes us the best, and as long as we have that focus, we'll continue to be the best.

Career development is real here. We've almost doubled in size to around 90 employees in the last 15 months. This has created opportunities for many people to get promoted. The most successful people in this company have been the ones who work A LOT but also hold themselves to incredibly high standards. They take personal responsibility for their work, which is really appreciated by the rest of the team. It is definitely not easy but many many people have been given great careers here with that mindset.

The founder is incredibly capable. We are constantly innovating, and embracing the start-up culture that we serve. I've learned so much about what it takes to build an excellent professional services and consulting firm during my time here. We've done a great job attracting top talent. One thing that strikes me about the culture that Greg has created is the high level of collaboration. We are always working to improve on this and the people here are genuinely nice and smart. I feel like my colleagues are truly invested in my success.

Cons

With innovative/fast growth comes a lot of opportunity for things to be left to the side. We do move fast and focus on the most important tasks - especially tasks revolving around coming through for our clients. It seems like this has left some people feeling left behind or untrained. Mostly, we take personal responsibility for own learning's but we could do a better job of sharing those learning's. Whether it is through continual training's or a different/better knowledge sharing platform. I think this would shore up some of those feelings. With that said, people are super gracious about sharing their knowledge whenever presented with questions.

Also, we could do a better job of facilitating side/special projects. In the past, I know people felt vulnerable when they considered taking on new projects that are outside of their core job responsibilities. There was little guidance. I think EEs in general should be cautious about this but it is something to consider here as well. Of course, the flip side of this is that if/when you are successful, you really build a great brand internally, and have a really positive impact on the firm. Also, you are given the opportunity to learn something totally outside your knowledge domain, on the job.

The founder is a great CEO - though many times he innovates ahead of everyone else. We kind of find out after the fact that we are doing something. Which is pretty normal enough in an innovative company but it leads to uncertainty about whether our job responsibilities are going to change, if organizational structure will change, and just in general, about whether or not we are going to be able to keep up. Many times, during these transitions, the really top employees at the company are asked to take on considerable amounts of more work, and it seems like it can be really difficult to say no, because the work does need to be done. This has a ripple effect down into the rest of the organization, where everyone ends up taking on more work. The process is natural enough for a start-up type company. I can see where people have had mixed feelings here. I think we can do a better job of managing the EEs expectations and emotions around the uncertainty/changes. In the end, the change/innovations really are a part of trying to stay ahead of our industry and continuously working towards being the most admired firm in the industry, and is really the reason why people come to Sequoia.

- Continue to build on EEs strengths
    - Communicate employees weaknesses to EE's, and give them actionable steps to improve on those weaknesses
    - Build on and create more continual training programs and better knowledge/learning sharing platforms
    - Additional guidance for EEs who volunteer for side/special projects
    - Continue to stick to our core values!

Great people lead by misguided management staff and CEO

I worked at Sequoia Benefits

Pros

There are truly some really great people that work for Sequoia. They've hired people that genuinely care about their clients and their co-workers. The staff, not the management, is the sole contributing reason why clients continue to stay with Sequoia.

Cons

There are many cons when it comes to this company and most tie into the office culture, the management, and CEO. The culture breeds complacency and does not take constructive criticism lightly. They do not want to hear your ideas. They want to hear your agreement.

The management has great potential but there are no process or procedures set in place. The "shoot from the hip" motto ultimately damages the customer experience and causes more inefficiencies across departments. There is little efficient communicate within and between departments. Often times when there were customer issues around deadline expectations set by the sales team, management would do little to step in. There was no accountability.

The CEO only trusts a handful of his own management staff. You are always under the microscope and he is always dissecting your actions, testing to see if you are truly "a team player". Often times being a team player means pitting yourself against other staff. Since the company is so small, the CEO has a direct impact on your employment. If he deems you "not a fit", you may want to start considering other career options other than Sequoia Benefits.

Be open to criticism and growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Sequoia Benefits