There are newer employer reviews for Sequoia Benefits

EE Benefits, 401(k), Risk Management and HR Services Firm with top notch EEs who deliver for clients and each other.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros – Growth, growth, growth. Company is expanding. Greg Golub is a visionary who has taken the insurance brokerage model and classed it up... provides top tier sales and relationship consultants who deliver on promises. Sequoia is very selective in hiring and high-touch/consultative in their approach to benefits, 401(k) and risk management (p&c) brokering. Strong client value-add with their advanced "MY BENEFITS" iphone and android apps. Sequoia has a very impressive client list -- I get to work with some of the best tech companies in the Bay Area. CEO is very generous to EEs... Entrepreneurial culture.

Cons

Cons – Hiring process can be long -- you meet with a lot of people before a decision is made. They are outgrowing their office space and infrastructure. The latter, I presume, is why they're bringing on a COO. CEO is heavily involved in all aspects of the business - not necessarily a negative but it can slow progress and may impede future growth.

Advice to Management

Improve vacation time and grow staff so current staff isn't burned out.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Amazing community of hard-working people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Sequoia just under a year, and I have loved (almost) every moment. The management team really cares about your progress and improvement, they listen to your ideas, and while you are expected to work hard, you are also rewarded and recognized for your achievements. Hours are long during our busy season, but everyone bands together to support each other and you truly do feel like you're part of a team. People here care about each other and our clients, and it shows! Specific positives include: Team events and outings such as annual company-wide trips, group walks, "connections" lunches with colleagues from other teams so you get to know the whole company, wedding and baby showers Catered meals during our busiest time of year Monthly all-hands meetings where we all share personal and professional progress and receive updates from the executive team Friendly and clever colleagues Clients that are among the most exciting companies in the world!

Cons

The company is growing very rapidly and so is experiencing some minor growing pains due to new positions being created and the culture changing. This is also in many ways a pro! I can't think of anything else I would change, except maybe for people to be encouraged to take breaks (most people eat at their desks).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, Sequoia is a wonderful place to work.

As long as you are in the good books of few people

Former Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Sequoia Benefits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to learn and if you are in the good books of people who matter then you might see growth inside company. The values and future goals sound great on paper. You will have chances to network with many other employers. There are company outings

Cons

The company's senior team has a couple of people who will talk like they are living their life for you but stab you behind your back. I've heard them talk crap and curse about the Owner but then since the owner is not aware he places them on a pedestal. Existing employees beware. Don't believe them at face value. Low pay compared to market and the work load. Nothing extremely awful if you are not too vested in the company.

Advice to Management

Don't try to ruin other people's career based on the lies from your spies. I'm glad I got out before your spies targeted me.