There are newer employer reviews for Sequoia Benefits

Love my team and it's a great place to get into the Benefits/HR Industry

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits full-time

Pros

For someone looking to get into the HR/Benefits world, Sequoia was an excellent fit. They really invest in employees who are looking to grow their benefits experience and knowledge. I have learned an incredible amount not only in regards to benefits and HR, but also project management. This is because Sequoia trusts its team members to take on new projects and really develop their skills. Some of my coworkers who joined the team with little benefits background have expressed similar experiences. I feel like I made the right choice not only because I am learning and growing every day, but also because I have the opportunity to really develop my career here.

I also love the people at Sequoia. My coworkers are friendly, fun, and always willing to come through for you when you need help. I can't think of any other job I've had where coworkers have been so dedicated to helping out their teammates. My department team has especially become tight-knit, but I see great chemistry on the other teams as well.

Cons

Like any company, we have faced some challenges as we grow and scale as a company. We've been really focused on hiring enough people to keep up with our growth, but it's been a slower hiring process than we'd like since we haven't had a permanent recruiter. We finally just hired a recruiter, so I think this won't be as much of an issue going forward.

My advice to management would be to please keep focusing on quality hiring for Sequoia. We've recruited a few people in the past months, but we can't slow hiring down yet if we expect continued growth as a company.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Sequoia Benefits (View Most Recent)

One of the best service based companies in the Bay Area

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits

Pros

I get to work with smart engaged and committed team members that want to come through for our clients and help each other out. We are very team oriented.
    Get to work with and advise some of the best fastest growing companies in the world that are full of cool, smart people that appreciate the work we do for them.
    Management team cares about us individuals and our future with the company.

Cons

Very client focused. Clients always come first and it can be hard work delivering the highest level of service

Keep hiring high quality people to add to our team

I'm beginning to see some problems...

Current Employee - Worker in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Worker in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Sequoia Benefits full-time

Pros

It's a good chance to work in a broker environment. You can learn a lot from this company. So there's no question there. Some of the clients they have really are awesome. I do see they are servicing the best and brightest companies in the Bay Area. it's amazing getting to interact with these clients. the company also does provide chances to attend webinars and other internal workshops to learn more about benefit products or other healthcare reform information. They do want to remain a competent company to their clients.

Cons

I feel like all they care about is image. Sometimes you also need to care about your employees, and I get this cold feeling in the office. The workers seem very into their work which isn't a bad thing, but at times it feels like they are doing their work out of fear. I have met some wonderful and talented people throughout the years. but it's apparent just working hard isn't enough sometimes. make one little mistake and it's all over... it seems like politics really takes precedent here.

I don't know what is going on. But morale is very VERY low in the office. if you're going to recruit the best talent you want for your company, then you need to start figuring out a retention program. and also a program to make your workers feel welcomed and safe. we want to ensure you help us feel supported and valued since we are supporting you. despite the pros listed above, the cons definitely outweigh it all. some outside spectators even notice this

There are newer employer reviews for Sequoia Benefits