Serpro
www.serpro.gov.br Brasilia, Brazil 5000+ Employees

Rampant bureaucracy

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Serpro full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt is a stable and secure job, with good a salary/benefits package.

ConsSerpro is a highly bureaucratic company, which comes as no surprise, since we are talking about a (brazilian) government company. Their software development process is all based on the failed waterfall model, which means an enormous waste of precious resources.

Since 2009, the CEO has been making technical decisions on behalf of the software developers. He has been promoting his crappy web development/dependency injection "framework", called Demoiselle ever since. It's quite embarassing for a software developer to have to put up with this authoritarian model of management. It's *not* the job of a CEO to make this kind of decision.

Most employees are quite unqualified for the work they are supposed to do. This is due to the fact that the hiring process is based on public exams, which does not correlate to actual skills to do the job. Management usually does not bother to alleviate the problem. So, technical training is rarely offered. Besides there is no actual merit based policy, in order to reward the best performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce bureaucracy, organize teams around project/teams and not around functions, promote work in small batches, listen to your employees and, most of all, study and try to learn something.

Depressing

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil)

I have been working at Serpro full-time for more than a year

Pros: Public service no one can fire you. Cons: Old company, old people, lack of formation and studies of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
Curitiba (Brazil)

I have been working at Serpro

Pros: Overall, good to work for. Cons: Poor career plan. Need to improve a lot. Advice to Senior Management: Good mid managers. They give you feedback. More

There are newer reviews on Serpro.

Worked for Serpro? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Serpro reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Serpro CEO Marcos Vinicius Ferreira Mazoni. All reviews posted anonymously by Serpro employees.