Service Corporation International

There are newer employer reviews for Service Corporation International

Dysfunctional Workplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salary was reasonable.
The parking was free.
Training was paid for once a year.

Cons

Very dysfunctional management in IT (Information Technology).
Only lip service was paid to data security in a public company.
 A fair amount of IT was outsourced to India.
Generally the H1B workers were treated better than the actual employees.
Age discrimination was common in IT.
Regulatory requirements were routinely performed to the letter of the control (lip service).
Audited by the IRS 7 years in a row for restating earnings.
IRS request accounting data was restored from backups rather than from current data due to current data being constantly manipulated (without any controls).
Middle management constantly hides issues from upper management.
Over all “a culture of fear” from management.

Mr Waltrip should fire all of IT management and start over.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Service Corporation International (View Most Recent)

Great people, poor pay

Former Employee - Data Center Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Data Center Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is friendly and cordial. Very easy to get along with
    Family first environment
    Free parking
    Some training is availiable

Cons

Lowest pay in the market
    Management loves the word "Lateral move" - sure you get more experience but pay stays the same
    Management hates the word "Promotion" - more times than not the company looks outward for supervisior and management positions
    Medical benefits costs are a bit higher than other places I have worked for

Start taking better care of your employees

Cemetery Sales Counselor

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with SCI for 1 and 1/2 years. The company is dilligent in training their employees with an online schooling.You are trained from the beginning and frequently thoughout your tenure.
    You work with families that have a death in the family or are pre-planning for thier own burial.
    If you like people and can be strong in your belief to assist them, you will do well. This is a sales position as well. Working in a cemetery is about building family heritage. Families get together for holidays and all sorts of celebrations. It stands to reason families would want their final resting place to be together. That is what I do as a counselor, assist families in planning their final resting place. I have made an excellent salary with the company, but have worked many hours to acheive that salary.
    We have a new commission structure that changed from salary plus commission to full commission with a by-weekly draw. The new plan allows us to be paid more quickly on our sales and removes the minimum level you must sell at to get a commission. It is more beneficial this way.
    I have worked for another company in the death care industry and find SCI to be the most professional. Great benefits, health care, vacation and sick leave.

Cons

If you are looking to work 40 hours a week, this is not the job for you.
    We work on many holidays and weekends because that is the time families are available to be seen.

It might be better to have a classroom setting for new hires instead of learning in the location. That way they have more time with a trainer than they have with a manager that is trying to teach them while they are working.

There are newer employer reviews for Service Corporation International