Service Corporation International

Add Review

SCI Is Made Up of Great People Who Work to Make Lives Better

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Senior Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SCI is a company aimed at making lives better. The people who work for the company, especially those in the field (ie, funeral homes, cemeteries), are compassionate and provide good feedback on services provided. I didn't realize when I took the job with SCI that I would consistently receive good feedback from my peers and my internal customers (field associates). I also believe my ethics are upheld by this corporation, not only through the company's core values, but through our practice and messaging.

Cons

Communication within the company could be improved (ie, structure, resources, etc). I am still a bit confused as to how the field (ie, funeral homes, cemeteries) is structured. The intranet is useful but difficult to use. I don't use most of the links and applications within the intranet because they are not described well on their landing pages and/or I don't know where to find what I am looking for.

Advice to Management

Communicate how the company is structured and what resources are available internally to new hires. Create a guide to the company's intranet that is easily found on the intranet's homepage. Rename markets to better reflect the geographic regions they represent. The arbitrary names are difficult to discern to corporate associates or associates in other markets in other states.

reviews filtered by

Too much overtime

Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

You will get a lot hand-ons expirience

Cons

Their work expectations are more than one can handle. They take advantage when it comes to overtime. Make you work endless hours..

Advice to Management

Value your employees and their time.

Great stepping stone

Former Employee - Corporate Offices in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Offices in Houston, TX

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training is fantastic. People are great. The field is amazing and the services they provide the community are invaluable. They are great at giving opportunities to be part of a dynamic team ( if they get their leadership right). Area is great.

Cons

Seldom any upward mobility. They like to hire from the outside instead of looking or developing who they have on the inside already.. Leadership is hit or miss.

Advice to Management

Leadership is key. The legacy of any company begins and ends with your leadership. The new leader is dynamic. They inspire, motivate, personable and experts in what they do. It's a hard mold to fit but well worth molding your managers around this criteria.