Service Corporation International

Horrible, horrible, horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time

Pros

Most of the co-workers were knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

The location manager was a general terror to work for. Promises were made at hiring that were not kept and/or were found out not to be true. Wage did not match work requirements and excessive overtime was required due to lack of ability to maintain adequate staffing levels. Little to no room for advancement for female employees.

Treat your employees like the human beings they are and not a disposable commodity. Pay them according to their titles and do not allow for their mistreatment

199 Other Employee Reviews for Service Corporation International (View Most Recent)

Glorified Burger King! Beware of Lies at interview process!

Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Family Service Counselor in Greenville, SC

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume...

Cons

Where do I start? I made more money bagging groceries in high school, than I did working for SCI. I clearly remember when I went for my interview, I was clearly told... this was a salary PLUS commission job. The only thing the Sales Manager was honest about was that, the base pay was minimum wage. However, I was told that I would also be making a certain percentage of my sales. I was thinking... 10% on property, 5% on merchandise, and 3% on services... Pretty good? Not! Wasn't told anything that these percentages would only go to your pay, only if they were written on a pre-need contract. Also, working against a draw, you have to pay back what you didn't earn in past weeks. Really makes you feel appreciated, when you work 6 days straight, and sometimes being on call on Sundays. All this work, and you don't get paid unless you meet the draw?! Most weeks you end up owing the company money! Heck. I wrote a pre-need contract for over $20,000 my second week; yep, that's right over $20,000. I worked over 80 hours in two weeks time, and had that sale; and I was only paid a little over $600.00! Really? Also, they will put 10% of all payable commission into a reserve, until it reaches $2,500. This reserve is supposed to help protect against cancellations. Uhh, that's what a collections agency is for! Also, you have to wait over 13 months after you quit, to receive this money!

How do you expect to get quality people for the position, with what you pay?

No allowance for family life.

Former Employee - Sales Advisor
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people deal with loss.

Cons

Company cares only about profitability. The company does not train employees to help next of kin, they only train to SELL SELL SELL. Also they don't pay for overtime but you cannot meet sales goals without it. They have been sued before so track your OT and take them to court. They break a lot of labor laws.

Allow employees to have a family life and help create that balance.

There are newer employer reviews for Service Corporation International