There are newer employer reviews for Service Corporation International

Poor management in multiple markets

Former Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer
Former Employee - Funeral Director/Embalmer

I worked at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401k program is only pro. Some locations have a work good schedule and hours.

Cons

Nepotism is out of control. It's not about serving the families it's about catering to management

Don't put just anyone in management! Also, after 1 harassment lawsuit terminate that employee don't continue to praise them for their work and history in the business.

177 Other Employee Reviews for Service Corporation International (View Most Recent)

Of course we wouldn't say this in front of a family but this is just another sales job! -Quote from a high level mgr.

Current Employee - Community Service in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community Service in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Service Corporation International part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The funeral directors and grounds crew give this company credibility. The majority of the FDs are compassionate individuals who truly listen to the families and recommend products and services accordingly. The grounds crew are respectable individuals who couldn't possibly make enough money for the hard work they do every day.
    Helping families pre-arrange their services is a gratifying job. If you have a competent, ethical manager, you are ahead of the game.

Cons

High turnover. Chaotic work environment, poorly kept records, Unrealistic pay structure for family service counselors. Lack of communication between departments and no system in place to avoid multiple people calling the same family to generate business. Interpreting your paycheck is difficult. Top producers can get away with unethical behavior. Inappropriate language and behavior by a high level manager. The software to process contracts is archaic.

Live by the Promise Book or get rid of it. Just because managers make their numbers doesn't mean they should work for this company. Get the used car sales people out to save what reputation you still have.

I've worked as a Family Service Counselor for almost a decade.

Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Gresham, OR
    Current Employee - Family Service Counselor in Gresham, OR

I have been working at Service Corporation International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

My schedule is somewhat flexible, which inables me to plan my off time fairly well. The Medical plan is pretty good.

Cons

"Raises" come in the form of price increases. 100% commission. Two years ago SCI began to utilize a 7i plus commission / bonus plan. I am still unclear as to the complexities of this pay structure.

Restructure present compensation so it can be easily tracked.

There are newer employer reviews for Service Corporation International