Seterus
www.seterus.com Beaverton, OR 500 to 999 Employees

Seterus is a terrible place to work.

Report Developer (Former Employee)

ProsPay is good if you're a contractor.

ConsIf you are a Microsoft Developer, run the other way. Seterus is owned by IBM who could care less about Microsoft Technology, which is what we were using (SQL, SSRS, SSIS etc). It was almost impossible to get support from the IBM side to help us get things done. If you're used to an organized company with well thought out processes, this is not the place to work. They are still going through the pain of merging with IBM and it's constant chaos, with phones down, networks down etc... Seterus, BTW, is a call center servicing Fannie Mae loans for IBM. They were formerly called LBPS.

Their process in I.T. are the worst I've seen for any company. I mean, we did most of our development on the production server because it was all that was available! The reporting department's relationship with the DBA's is the worst I've ever seen. Their deployment process, if you want to call it that, is a joke. It's the worst managed deployment process I've ever seen-very disjointed, scattered, and way too many people and steps involved. Talk about managing everything through emails and then they refer you to "the email" that went out. You really should have better processes in place to document things. Management is very hands off and almost non-existent and unwilling to step in to help things happen. Don't get me wrong-I am very proactive and disciplined when it comes to making things happen, but management wasn't there the few times you needed them-they were too busy fighting fires for a company still struggling to merge with IBM.

Training was non-existent, although classes did exist if you absolutely insisted on going to them. It appears they have favorites they were grooming who were scheduled for the training without asking.

If you're a contractor you're told you can only work 40 hours a week and overtime has to be approved on a case-by-case basis, but they expect more work than 40 hours can accomplish and schedule meetings to try and make sure that you end up working more than 40 hours. I got overtime approved ONE time and had to basically beg for it.

The business managers who put in reporting requests, especially one in particular, did a shot gun approach at making requests and fought every step of the way not to submit them through the correct channels, which made it very difficult to work with them. Get a clue people- there are processed and policies to follow.

Their Help Desk gives a new meaning to the term "Help-less Desk" and was the worst I've ever worked with. A few I met on the "Help Desk" team were very incompetent people who shouldn't be doing the job they are doing and it took them many attempts at fixing something before they got it right. There were multiple times when I had to help the Help Desk do their job and give them guidance.

They had a large meeting with the president and made Seterus sound like they could do no wrong, when in fact their data is very "dirty" and they are constantly having issues with needing to "re-populate" tables that somehow got corrupted and we were even down for almost a whole day due to an issue like this. Of course, we in reporting took the brunt for this since our reports rely on the data being correct.

Their DBAs could also stand to listen to some advice. Don't ignore the emails of people in corporate reporting. I realize you are busy, maybe too busy with trying to maintain databases with dirty data, but you still need to respond to requests for help. Also, it would be nice to not to have to use two email programs just because big Daddy IBM thinks their way is best. I had to use Outlook and Lotus Notes which is crazy. My feeling was IBM could care less about SQL Server, which is possibly why we had a hard time getting cooperation from the DBAs and other technical staff. Don't plan on deploying an SSIS package any time soon at Seterus.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Corporate Reporting Mgmt: Get a handle on processes and make sure things are formally documented so we're not fishing through a ton of emails for the last development policy that went out. Develop a better relationship with other areas in I.T. so it's not so hard to get things done. If you hire someone, give ALL your employees training on Seterus business practices, logic etc.... Provide training without employees having to beg for it. Get a better handle on what's going on between developers and the people requesting reports.

Worst company I've EVER worked for

(Current Employee)

I have been working at Seterus as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: Pay rates are on the upper end of the range and the… Cons: The company is probably the worst that I've worked for in over 25 years in the industry. It's a bureaucratic nightmare of an organization with… Advice to Senior Management: Your employees are not slaves. They are people with families and lives outside of work. Treat them as such. Adopting draconian policies under the guise… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Unique Experience

Call Center Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Seterus

Pros: Excellent benefits, provide attempts at boosting morale Cons: Pay does not compensate for responsibilities, very stressful No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Seterus.

Worked for Seterus? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Seterus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Seterus CEO Jay Hamilton Memmott. All reviews posted anonymously by Seterus employees.