Seterus

www.seterus.com
  www.seterus.com
There are newer employer reviews for Seterus

Seterus is a terrible place to work.

Former Employee - Report Developer
Former Employee - Report Developer

I worked at Seterus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good if you're a contractor.

Cons

If you are a Microsoft Developer, run the other way. Seterus is owned by IBM who could care less about Microsoft Technology, which is what we were using (SQL, SSRS, SSIS etc). It was almost impossible to get support from the IBM side to help us get things done. If you're used to an organized company with well thought out processes, this is not the place to work. They are still going through the pain of merging with IBM and it's constant chaos, with phones down, networks down etc... Seterus, BTW, is a call center servicing Fannie Mae loans for IBM. They were formerly called LBPS.

Their process in I.T. are the worst I've seen for any company. I mean, we did most of our development on the production server because it was all that was available! The reporting department's relationship with the DBA's is the worst I've ever seen. Their deployment process, if you want to call it that, is a joke. It's the worst managed deployment process I've ever seen-very disjointed, scattered, and way too many people and steps involved. Talk about managing everything through emails and then they refer you to "the email" that went out. You really should have better processes in place to document things. Management is very hands off and almost non-existent and unwilling to step in to help things happen. Don't get me wrong-I am very proactive and disciplined when it comes to making things happen, but management wasn't there the few times you needed them-they were too busy fighting fires for a company still struggling to merge with IBM.

Training was non-existent, although classes did exist if you absolutely insisted on going to them. It appears they have favorites they were grooming who were scheduled for the training without asking.

If you're a contractor you're told you can only work 40 hours a week and overtime has to be approved on a case-by-case basis, but they expect more work than 40 hours can accomplish and schedule meetings to try and make sure that you end up working more than 40 hours. I got overtime approved ONE time and had to basically beg for it.

The business managers who put in reporting requests, especially one in particular, did a shot gun approach at making requests and fought every step of the way not to submit them through the correct channels, which made it very difficult to work with them. Get a clue people- there are processed and policies to follow.

Their Help Desk gives a new meaning to the term "Help-less Desk" and was the worst I've ever worked with. A few I met on the "Help Desk" team were very incompetent people who shouldn't be doing the job they are doing and it took them many attempts at fixing something before they got it right. There were multiple times when I had to help the Help Desk do their job and give them guidance.

They had a large meeting with the president and made Seterus sound like they could do no wrong, when in fact their data is very "dirty" and they are constantly having issues with needing to "re-populate" tables that somehow got corrupted and we were even down for almost a whole day due to an issue like this. Of course, we in reporting took the brunt for this since our reports rely on the data being correct.

Their DBAs could also stand to listen to some advice. Don't ignore the emails of people in corporate reporting. I realize you are busy, maybe too busy with trying to maintain databases with dirty data, but you still need to respond to requests for help. Also, it would be nice to not to have to use two email programs just because big Daddy IBM thinks their way is best. I had to use Outlook and Lotus Notes which is crazy. My feeling was IBM could care less about SQL Server, which is possibly why we had a hard time getting cooperation from the DBAs and other technical staff. Don't plan on deploying an SSIS package any time soon at Seterus.

To Corporate Reporting Mgmt: Get a handle on processes and make sure things are formally documented so we're not fishing through a ton of emails for the last development policy that went out. Develop a better relationship with other areas in I.T. so it's not so hard to get things done. If you hire someone, give ALL your employees training on Seterus business practices, logic etc.... Provide training without employees having to beg for it. Get a better handle on what's going on between developers and the people requesting reports.

63 Other Employee Reviews for Seterus (View Most Recent)

Worst company I've EVER worked for

I have been working at Seterus as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Pay rates are on the upper end of the range and the technology they use is leading edge. The company web sites are well architected.

Cons

The company is probably the worst that I've worked for in over 25 years in the industry. It's a bureaucratic nightmare of an organization with policies simply for the sake of having policies. Some might believe that this is a product of being a subsidiary of IBM but many of the worst of the failings actually predate the IBM acquisition.

Upon entering the building, you become a faceless, nameless entity. You are there to service the company and you cease to have a personal life until you leave that afternoon. They block network access to all personal e-mail services as well as other social sites. In addition, the use of cell phones while at work is strictly prohibited except in cases of emergency. As far as the company is concerned, you have no life outside of the confines of the office. A work/life balance is something to pursue on your own time.

The company holds the threat of termination over their workers at every turn. Reprimands and referrals to HR for disciplinary action (up to and including termination) are the norm for even the most seemingly innocuous transgressions. As mentioned, using a personal cell phone may result in disciplinary action. Time sheets are due prior to Friday morning each week and failure to submit one is grounds for termination. Other "offenses" include forgetting to lock your workstation when stepping away from your desk even for a moment, failing to lock your desk when leaving the office, placing anything containing a fluid in your trash can, leaving ANY kind of printed material (even non-sensitive books or reference manuals) on your desk and (I am not making this up) BACKING your car into a parking space.

Speaking of parking, the company employs over 1000 people at their headquarters, however the facility has parking for fewer than 200 vehicles (which are shared with other companies who also occupy the facility). Anyone arriving after 6:30am (sometimes even earlier) will be required to use the overflow parking areas located up to 1/4 mile or more away from the building entrance. The only saving grace is a light rail station approximately 300 yards from the building.

No other company I've ever worked for has as big of an issue with unwarranted and unnecessary e-mail. Distribution lists are egregiously misused by Seterus. Perhaps as much as 90% of the e-mail that I receive is improperly distributed. E-mail filters are a necessity just to keep the volume of e-mail to a manageable level.

Many companies for which I have worked offered niceties such as coffee, paper plates or bowls, napkins and plastic utensils for their employees use. There are no such benefits at Seterus. Anything you plan to use or consume must be brought with you to the office or purchased from one of the vending machine on site - the only exception is tap water. The company doesn't even provide office supplies for their employees. Pens, Post-Its, stationary and the like must be provided by each individual. Perhaps these items don't rise to the level of "expectation" but they sure would go toward providing an environment of good will that is severely lacking from this employer.

While the company has a Facebook presence, I found it interesting to note that the page has NO followers. Ordinarily, it would seem odd for a company with such a large number of employees to have a Facebook presence with no followers. In Seterus' case, I think this is an indication that none of the 1000+ people who work there wish to admit that they do so. The high turn-over rate is another indication of this attitude.

Your employees are not slaves. They are people with families and lives outside of work. Treat them as such. Adopting draconian policies under the guise of "security" is not fooling anyone. If you think that security is such an issue, then perhaps you have bigger problems than blocking Gmail or Facebook will solve.

Unique Experience

Former Employee - Call Center Specialist
    Former Employee - Call Center Specialist

I worked at Seterus

Pros

Excellent benefits, provide attempts at boosting morale

Cons

Pay does not compensate for responsibilities, very stressful

There are newer employer reviews for Seterus