There are newer employer reviews for Seton Hall University

Horrible

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant
Current Employee - Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Seton Hall University

Pros

No one bugs you at work

Cons

There is No room for growth! You do the same thing over and over, and there are no trainings.

Stop pay 21st Graduate Assistants the same amount you paid them in `1957...times have changed and so must the university.

36 Other Employee Reviews for Seton Hall University (View Most Recent)

Federal work-study that pays minimum wage; responsibilities included helping the secretary with occasional tasks.

Former Employee - Department Work Study in South Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Department Work Study in South Orange, NJ

I worked at Seton Hall University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I can only speak in my experience working at the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures. Fortunately, my supervisor was extremely nice, funny, and caring. She was always understanding of the fact that I was still a student and some times I could not make it to work or had to leave early due to exams, finals, and the like. The entire department was nice, including the dean of the department as well. Overall, the people working in the department were nice, caring people.

Cons

On the other hand there was not much to do in the department besides the occasional copy run, delivering mail, or sorting folders. However, my main concern was when me and another department intern were asked to help the English department secretary move furniture in and out of professors' rooms.
    Although I am not adverse to strenuous work, I am extremely critical of this because it was clearly a personal favor to the English department secretary (my supervisor's friend) and because that secretary had work study students who could have done these tasks, but for whatever reason did not either due to lack of initiative or physical strength (some the cabinets were quite heavy). Many of these tasks felt more like janitorial work or that of professional movers. In once instance I had to move in all of a professor's desk, chair, cabinets, and books by myself and received no help from the English secretary's interns.
    In regards to promotions, benefits, or perks, there were none since it was a federal work study.

Please give the work studies more to do such as managing databases, taking phone calls, or other tasks that make a student feel like they are taking an active role within the department. Also, do not let any other department use work study students for menial labor and tasks, which are clearly to save other departments the cost of hiring professionals.

Great Experience!

I have been working at Seton Hall University

Pros

I loved working at SHU because of the people and the family focused environment. the benefits, days off and paid leave was awesome. Now being in a corporate environment, i am a bit disappointed i left.

Cons

Bonuses are few and far between and not given on merit basis but availability of funds on how well enrollment does. However, they are very transparent about it.

Take evaluation and fairness among coworkers into consideration a bit more carefully. Yearly evaluations were a joke.

There are newer employer reviews for Seton Hall University