There are newer employer reviews for Severstal North America

Great People, Teamwork Environment

Former Employee - Hot Mill Maintenance in Columbus, MS
Former Employee - Hot Mill Maintenance in Columbus, MS

I worked at Severstal North America

Pros

The incentive program at Severstal Columbus keeps everyone motivated and leads to great compensation if everyone does their part. The equipment at this mill is state of the art.

Cons

The only downside I can think of is the heat, but I really didn't mind it and the company does a good job supplying water, fruit to keep workers energized.

There seemed to always be miscommunication between different segments of the plant. If a defect came up in the cold mill, they would blame the hot mill and vice versa. Eliminating this divide between hot mill and cold mill may help solve problems in processing rather than create them.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Severstal North America (View Most Recent)

Company culture is poisonous.

Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Cost Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Severstal North America

Pros

None. Well maybe a few. Steel manufacturing is interesting, you get right into it. Benefits were ok.

Cons

Where do I begin. The culture is poisonous. Middle management is completely inept, secretive and not insightful. They completely rely on the grunts to do everything and attack you if their senior officer doesn't approve. The problem is there is zero direction provided. Very frustrating.

Executive management has drove the place into the ground. Russians have moved in and they can't make sense of it either. A couple of very corrosive executive have at least been fired and can't propogate the problem.

Start doing some work, listen to your subordinates; they have the answers.

Not Such a Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Stationary Eng in Sparrows Point, MD
    Current Employee - Stationary Eng in Sparrows Point, MD

I have been working at Severstal North America

Pros

Medical benefits, Vacation package is good. Other than that there really isn't to much of anything to brag about. With the right management style and capital investment this could be a more pleasant place to work.

Cons

At the Sparrows Point Plant, The new management is running the place into the ground. They aren't fixing to much of anything. Not sinking any money into the plant. We have been working without a new contract for 2 years now (old contract). The Russians are doing what they want when they want to. Not honoring local agreements wether they are verbal or written.

Management needs to mage the company in a positive way. They need to stop turning a blind eye to the negative things that are done here and make the people responsible for the negative things done here. Invest capitol in the company for repairs, think outside the box. We don't have any real visionaries in this place.....they need to get some good talent in here, not the same old people all the time.

There are newer employer reviews for Severstal North America