Shaklee

www.shaklee.com
  www.shaklee.com
There are newer employer reviews for Shaklee

Making a difference despite corporate politics.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Shaklee

Pros

Don't go me wrong: there are days that the corporate politics are really tedious. But, from what I hear, that's true of most corporate jobs. So, what I love about working at Shaklee is the feeling that the work I do really does make a difference for people and the planet. Our distributors and customers love our products and the company's philosophy - and they brag about it every day. So, while you might not get kudos from your boss everyday, that makes you feel like the work you do matters. And that's what I want - I want the work I do to matter.

By and large, Shaklee people genuinely care, and there's a common, genuine commitment to what we're doing that keeps us going in our cubicles.

Cons

The pension plan is in shambles. The constant changing and cutting back of benefits is not just annoying, but chronically late and miscommunicated.

Age discrimination by upper management is blatant.

The company has definite management silos, and that creates a lot of unnecessary dysfunction.

Salary growth is limited for non-management track staff - which understandably impacts enthusiasm for going the extra mile.

A LOT of effort goes into rewarding our distributors - which they deserve for driving sales, etc - but barely any recognition for employees. If you can't reward us financially, find some other ways to make people feel good about their contributions. You've got a hall of recogntion for BLs - how hard/expensive would it be to do that for employees?

The silo management is unnecessary and dysfunctional - and can only be changed by executive action. That being said, it's also not working to leave ineffective silo leaders in place AND micromanage them to the point that they are powerless. If you don't like silo management, change the leaders. But get some leaders you can delegate to and let them do their jobs.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Shaklee (View Most Recent)

Great place, depending on your department

I have been working at Shaklee full-time

Pros

Truly a company where you can develop an entire career. It is impressive how many people have stuck around for 20+ years.

Cons

This company is cheap, cheap, cheap when it comes to raises and bonuses! They do sometimes pay ridiculous amounts for higher level execs, though. Get a high salary coming in.

Micro manangers who can't make decisions

I have been working at Shaklee full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Product discount nice office space

Cons

Family owned and operated - they fight and and can't make decisions. Lot's of LDS.

Advertise.