Great people, great organization

Former Employee - Marketing and Communications Coordinator in Gainesville, FL
Former Employee - Marketing and Communications Coordinator in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Shands HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my coworkers, both within the department and throughout the company. The vast majority of the senior leadership was wonderful and inspiring to work for and seemed dedicated to making Shands a great place to work. I was proud to work for a not-for-profit healthcare system that provided such amazing patient care.

Cons

Work hours were often long in comparison to the salary. As with any healthcare environment, not every patient story has a happy ending, which I found emotionally difficult sometimes. Also, there wasn't a lot of upward mobility within our department.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not the great patient care organization it used to be

Current Employee - Mid-Level Management in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Mid-Level Management in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Shands HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The front line employees are the strength of the organization and are a dedicated and hard working group. Most employees recognize their impact on patient care, even those that are in support roles. Shands has a large long-term employee base that are knowledgeable problem solvers. Employees are generally very helpful to their patients, visitors and co-workers.

Cons

There was a takeover of the senior management team in 2009 and after three years it becomes clear that the new management team, lead (and micro-managed) by President and Chairman of the Board Dr. Gusick, is much less concerned about its employees. Shands management focus seems as though it is no longer a patient care organization, it is a physician care organization, frequently squandering millions to satisfy physicians' whims. Since this takeover, employee benefits have been routinely and systematically reduced or eliminated and the organization is actively trying to purge its longer-term employees, a group I've always felt was the strength of the organization.

2. Great company! Great people!

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Shands HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teams are like family and lookout for each other. If you need help in a project or have a question the management is very open to questions and provide assistance.

Cons

Pay is low and there is no bonus structure.

Advice to Management

Pay people as if you don't want to loose them.