There are newer employer reviews for Sharp HealthCare

SHARP only values their patients, not the hard working employees

Current Employee - PA in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - PA in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked as a physician assistant for 10 years.

Cons

Poor management from immediate supervisor. Quick to blame without looking at all the facts first. No apologies when they are incorrect. Quick to believe the comments of others before getting your side of the story. Complaints do not go thru the normal channels. If an MD has an issue with a physician assistant, upper management and HR are quick to believe the MD. Large egos. HR is a function of management, so they will be biased, siding with MD. Anyone under the level of a doctor is expendable. No camaraderie. Backstabbing and harassment occurs. Be careful about reporting it or you will be terminated. MD's annually evaluate the physicians assistants (and nurse practitioners). However, the mid-levels are not allowed to evaluate the MD's. This is sad as physician assistants work hand in hand with MD's. If there is poor camaraderie, pt management, etc. between Midlevels and MD's, it can not be reflected on yearly evals. MD's and upper management have their own interest in mind. Additionally, Midlevels Are not allowed to vote for department chair, per the medical director. He states because it is not written in the bylaws of SRS. Midlevels should have a voice in who they will be working under. There are definitely some MD's that are not fond of Midlevels.

End of the year bonuses are appreciated by the Midlevels, however nowhere in comparison to the MD's. I received an end of the year bonus. My net take home on that bonus was $1700. And I work 5 days a week! I don't even have a half day off during the week, like all the MD's are privileged to. When I spoke with with a fellow MD, he said his net take home bonus was 90% more than I took home. You do the math! My poor nurse had an end of the year bonus of $250.

SHARP really values surveys and patient satisfaction. However, when it comes to employees, they do not value them and treat them poorly.

Advice to Management

Midlevels need a Union.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Solid company, administration runs well.

I worked at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work, even if not a "health care professional," such as someone working in administration, finance, operations, or other support function. Good benefits, good work-life balance.

Cons

As with any large company, things are homogenized to blend with the corporate structure; also limited opportunities for advancement for those who are in support functions vs. health care specialists. Sharp is non-profit, so no big bonuses or windfall compensation packages.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Nurse RN in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Nurse RN in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sharp HealthCare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked in many hospitals during my career and I must say that Sharp is the best hospital I have worked in. The culture within Sharp makes it the best place to work. There are so many opportunities to grow within Sharp from advancement to experiencing differing jobs as a nurse or getting an education.

Cons

There is really no con to working at Sharp. In my opinion I could go without the union hounding me and co-workers to join them, but other than that I'm very happy.