Shasta County

There are newer employer reviews for Shasta County

Extra help

Former Employee - Extra Help, Social Services in Redding, CA
Former Employee - Extra Help, Social Services in Redding, CA

I worked at Shasta County part-time (more than an year)

Pros

don't take an extra help position it could ruin your career

Cons

misrepresent pay, no rights whatsoever, no benefits and no real career advancement opportunity

Nickel and diming people who agree to work part time, with no benefits and then pressured to sign contracts that they can be let go at any time and for no reason is borderline unethical. In the department I landed in, the micromanager didn't have the skills and education to do her job while humiliating her subordinates. When she wanted someone gone, she made up an accusation and said "get out". Shasta County doesn't demonstrate any accountability to the community with extra help positions. They just bury the bodies of expendable people and no one asks what happened. Its disgraceful, I wouldn't work for them or recommend anyone else consider it, in their social services departments. At general meetings I heard a lot of disgusted employees. The county
 needs to deal with their heavy handed power tripping unqualified managers

8 Other Employee Reviews for Shasta County (View Most Recent)

bad morale in some departments

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A paycheck with benefits is great

Cons

One of my first required county wide trainings was an eye opener as coworkers from various departments shared their disgust with disrespectful managers. My own manager was not remotely qualified for her job lacking the education and skills to do quality work. She micromanaged her staff into quitting, or hating their work. She got promoted for that and this seems to be how the county rewards arrogance and incompetence. Arrogance is the operative word when dealing with management.

Listen to your employees and realize there is a morale issue that could be improved if you provided any indication that you cared for your staff's career and well-being

Another Government Clone

Current Employee - Cog In the Wheel in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Cog In the Wheel in Redding, CA

I have been working at Shasta County full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Being a government job its a secure postion and there is opportunity for advancement if you fit in and know what you are doing.

Cons

Very Clicky, government is adverse to change and runs at a snails pace which makes innovation and change very difficult. Government is risk-adverse and employees are afraid of making mistake and there is alot of CYA going on or blaming somone else. Morale is not very good.

Wow! Where do I start....Communication is not very good between upper management and those below so they need to fix that. Also Managment should help with morale bring inspiration to the work place tell people they are doing a good job make it a place where people want to go to work not just some 9 to 5 job where you collect a paycheck. Where there is a lack of vision the people perish. Alot of employees are adverse to taking the lead or promoting a new idea as that is not enouraged within managment. There is alot of dead weight in the lower job functions as well but thats another question.

There are newer employer reviews for Shasta County